History Abraham Lincoln's Favorite Foods

For those of you who don't like oysters, have Mock Oyster Stew. This was made by soldiers during the Civil War. Here is recreated recipe:

"Mock Oyster Stew"

3 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 cups milk, warmed
onion powder or minced fresh onion to taste
celery seeds
salt and pepper
1 can water packed tuna, undrained
oyster or soda crackers

Melt the fat; blend in flour. Gradually stir in milk, cooking until thickened. Season. Add broken up tuna. Heat and serve with crackers.

I am sure president Lincoln would have approved. if it was good enough for soldiers, good enough for him.

The recipe from: "Confederate Camp Cooking", Patricia B. Mitchell, 1991.

Here it is Feb. 12th and again Lincoln's birthday. Lincoln liked many foods. I thought I would add site on Lincoln's favorite foods. See:
http://www.everythinglincoln.com/articles/Lincoln-Favorite-Foods.html
Two books on what Lincoln and his family liked to eat and other information about the Lincolns and food are:

"Lincoln's Table" by Donna McCreay. She has 125 recipes of foods the Lincoln's enjoyed. Another book worth reading is "Abraham Lincoln in the Kitchen: A Culinary View of Lincoln's Life and Times" by Rae Katherine Eighmey.

Happy Birthday Mr. Lincoln!

Last edited:
I am bumping this a little early for Abe Lincoln's birthday on Feb. 12th. Happy Birthday to him always.

I always remember in school when I was young we would draw pictures of Lincoln and Washington and the teacher would hang them all around the classroom. We would also make top hats like one Lincoln wore and hatchets representing story of Washington and the cherry tree. We always celebrated both birthdays, Lincoln's on Feb. 12th and Washington's on Feb. 22nd. Now they are combined as President's Day. I still think they deserve their own birthday as one celebrated but of course that is old fashion me.

Love that picture on the first page! I know Lincoln would have liked hamburgers but he was a little early for them. I do know one of his favorites was a certain type of pecan pie made by a baker down the street from the White House. He'd stroll down there and pick one up himself. Can't go wrong with pecan pie! Happy birthday, Mr President.

Tomorrow is Abe Lincoln's birthday. Thought bring up this thread.

Lincoln loved apples.

This old recipe for baked apples is one to try for his birthday.

Baked Apples

Core and peel eight apples; fill center with one fourth cup butter creamed with one half cup of brown sugar, add four tablespoons chopped citron peel, and one tablespoon lemon juice mixed together. Mix two tablespoons of sugar with one half cup water and brush over apples; sprinkle with crumbs browned in hot butter; bake for 20 minutes in moderate oven. Serve cold with custard.

From the household of another Civil War figure: General Selden Connor (former colonial of the 19th Maine and later governor of Maine). This recipe was submitted by his daughter Mabel to The Teakettle, a Collection of Recipes for Cooking contributed by the Ladies of Fairfield, ME. (1889). No shrinking violet herself, Miss Connor was the last president of Maine Women’s Suffrage Association (it was during her tenure that women got the right to vote) and the 1st president of the Maine Chapter of the League for Women Voters.

Baked Sweet Apples

Dissolve one pint of sugar in one pint of water over the fire, then pour the syrup over two dozen apples arranged in a granite baking pan.

With Lincoln's birthday tomorrow, thought bump on some of his favorite foods.

He never was a big eater and liked mostly homespun foods. It is written he always liked fruit and cheese. It is said Mrs. Lincoln would have to remind him to eat.

He did have favorites, like Apple Pie, Corned Beef and cabbage, Hoecakes and pecan pie. It seems he did like a lot of sweets.

I have several of his recipes posted in other threads. Will try to bring a few up.

Happy Birthday Mr. Lincoln.

Back