Abraham Lincoln's Dog Jip

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
There is a thread on Fido the Lincoln's dog when they lived in Springfield. Fido was left behind and given to a neighbor. Fido was unable to come to Washington. Unfortunately Fido had a very unhappy end.

In Washington Lincoln and the children missed Fido very much. Lincoln obtained another dog which was named Jip.. Jip became known as the "White House Dog". He was very smart and cunning. He also was the president's dog. The children had another dog and other pets.

Jip would have lunch with the president all the time. He always sat on Lincoln's lap and would get his portion first. It was noted the dog was caressed and petted throughout the whole meal.

Jip helped relieve Lincoln of some of his burdens during the Civil War. He had a calming affect and helped with depression. He was a good and loyal friend for President Lincoln.

I could find no photos of Jip or what happened to him after President Lincoln died.

I don't know what happened to him. Haven't found any more about him. Maybe Loyalty of dog knows something.

Did Jip outlive Lincoln? And if so what happened to him afterwards?

Sorry, I haven't been able to find an answer to those questions either. I've read that after the assassination, Mary Lincoln found homes for Tad's goats, but the reference I saw made no mention of Jip.

I have only seen its spelling as Jip.
I can't imagine that the dog depicted on this antique rug is President Lincoln's dog Jip, but maybe this was the common spelling at that time. I also wonder, did people avoid the spelling Gyp when naming their dogs? Gyp means a swindler or cheat. That's not to say that many a little dog wouldn't try to get a person's lunch by trickery.

1651328290784.png

Back