Abraham and Mary Lincoln's 2010 Presidential Series Coins

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
I never much paid attention to the Presidential dollar coins, as you don't normally see them in circulation. But, today I got one in change from a vending machine (my change was supposed to by $.50 -- I got one quarter and an Abraham Lincoln dollar!)

The Presidential series was begun in 2007, with four issues minted each year. Each coin was minted for only 3 months, and then never again. They were sold directly to collectors and investors, and were not available from banks.

2010 saw the issuance of Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan, and Lincoln coins. I must say I am not particularly impressed by the Lincoln portrait, done by sculptor Don Everhart (his eyes are weird, and his beard is crooked ... like mine!). It is colored and sized to match the 2000 Sacajawea dollar coins.
2010-presidential-dollar-coin-abraham-lincoln-uncirculated-obverse.jpg
The reverse shows Lady Liberty (the same for all Presidents)
2010-presidential-dollar-coin-uncirculated-reverse.jpg
The edges are not milled, but inscribed with the year (2010), "E Pluribus Unum," and the mint mark: "P.", "D." or "S"

At the same time, a "Presidential Spouses" $10 coin series was issued. Unlike the Presidential series, each "Spouse" coin contains 1/2 ounce of .9999 gold.

2010 also saw the production of the Mary Todd Lincoln gold 10 Dollar. Phebee Hemphill was the sculptor:
2010-first-spouse-gold-coin-mary-todd-lincoln-uncirculated-obverse.jpg
In this case, the reverse shows Mary visiting an army hospital:
2010-first-spouse-gold-coin-mary-todd-lincoln-uncirculated-reverse.jpg
Hope I find one of those in my change!

PS: batchellor Buchanan's "Spouse" coin featured the head of Liberty:
2010-first-spouse-gold-coin-buchanan-liberty-uncirculated-obverse.jpg

Back