Abner Doubleday

Yeah I found them on a Fort Moultrie dedicated website, the exposure seems a bit funny.

Fort Moultrie is a great place to visit. It was in continuous operation from 1776 till the end of WWII. I really had not understood why Anderson would leave this fort to go to Ft. Sumter (that was not completed) until I actually went there. If he had stayed he could not have lasted against the locals and a land based assault.

You've had a lot of good stuff lately. I have been busy with other things, your inspiring me to get back to work and post some new stuff...

I know that Doubleday took over for Reynolds after he was shot and killed at Gettysburg. But why did he basically disappear from sight after that battle? He was relegated to desk duty after the battle and from my understanding never held a field command again (I could be wrong). What did he do at Gettysburg that caused him to "fall from grace"?

I know that Doubleday took over for Reynolds after he was shot and killed at Gettysburg. But why did he basically disappear from sight after that battle? He was relegated to desk duty after the battle and from my understanding never held a field command again (I could be wrong). What did he do at Gettysburg that caused him to "fall from grace"?

On July 2, 1863, Army of the Potomac commander Maj. Gen. George G. Meade replaced Doubleday with Major General John Newton, a more junior officer from another corps. The ostensible reason was a false report by XI Corps commander Major General Oliver O. Howard that Doubleday's corps broke first, causing the entire Union line to collapse, but Meade also had a long history of disdain for Doubleday's combat effectiveness, dating back to South Mountain. Doubleday was humiliated by this snub and held a lasting grudge against Meade, but he returned to division command and fought well for the remainder of the battle.[3] He was wounded in the neck on the second day of Gettysburg and received a brevet promotion to colonel in the regular army for his service.[4] He formally requested reinstatement as I Corps commander, but Meade refused, and Doubleday left Gettysburg on July 7 for Washington.[8]
Doubleday's indecision as a commander in the war resulted in his uncomplimentary nickname "Forty-Eight Hours."[4]

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abner_Doubleday

On July 2, 1863, Army of the Potomac commander Maj. Gen. George G. Meade replaced Doubleday with Major General John Newton, a more junior officer from another corps. The ostensible reason was a false report by XI Corps commander Major General Oliver O. Howard that Doubleday's corps broke first, causing the entire Union line to collapse, but Meade also had a long history of disdain for Doubleday's combat effectiveness, dating back to South Mountain. Doubleday was humiliated by this snub and held a lasting grudge against Meade, but he returned to division command and fought well for the remainder of the battle.[3] He was wounded in the neck on the second day of Gettysburg and received a brevet promotion to colonel in the regular army for his service.[4] He formally requested reinstatement as I Corps commander, but Meade refused, and Doubleday left Gettysburg on July 7 for Washington.[8]
Doubleday's indecision as a commander in the war resulted in his uncomplimentary nickname "Forty-Eight Hours."[4]

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abner_Doubleday
Thank you for sharing. I never knew why Doubleday was so maligned as a commander. I guess when you have the commander of the Army hating you there isn't much you can do. But then again Doubleday doesn't sound like he was the best commander or better suited for command. Perhaps he ended up where he should have.

Back