Abel Galpin Comstock PEORIA ILLINOIS

Peter Stines

Sergeant
Here we go again with an elusive ancestor. He was born in Mnt. Washington Mass. in 1837. Moved to Sweden, Monroe NY in 1850 (census) In 1860 he was living in Peoria Ill. and is listed as a RR conductor. Was he exempt from service because of this ? What Railroads were in Peoria at that time ? In 1870 he's in Texas. His brothers served in NY units. (I have that data) His mother was living in Highland, Doniphan Kansas in 1870. She died the following year.

Scratch that! For some reason, I could access the link but not access it when I tried to pull it up in another browser. Weird.

Here's what comes up for Abel Comstock. There are more of them than I thought. Not seeing any Abel G. Comstocks. Do you think he might be one of the Ohioans without an initial or with a potentially mangled name?

I'm at a loss. He was of age to serve (Born 1837) He never applied for a pension that I can find and no membership in any of the veterans groups (GAR etc) His brothers served in NY units and I can't imagine him NOT serving. He WAS born in Mass. (Mount Washington) and I'll check that area. The name Comstock is fairly common.

I'm at a loss. He was of age to serve (Born 1837) He never applied for a pension that I can find and no membership in any of the veterans groups (GAR etc) His brothers served in NY units and I can't imagine him NOT serving. He WAS born in Mass. (Mount Washington) and I'll check that area. The name Comstock is fairly common.
Mass. sources list no Abel Comstock. Mt. Washington's on the New York state line, so that's not an unexpected place for his relatives to have enlisted.

Where and when did he die? Have you found an obituary?

Mass. sources list no Abel Comstock. Mt. Washington's on the New York state line, so that's not an unexpected place for his relatives to have enlisted.

Where and when did he die? Have you found an obituary?
He died here in Chambers County Texas. He's buried in the family cemetery. His son married one of my great aunts and they're buried there as well. His death certificate and obit do not mention military service. I've searched the old newspapers published here and didn't see anything. I've searched the TSL&A and didn't see a pension or other related documents. FWIW In the 1900's he carried the mail on the back of a mule from the main post office and delivered to the rural communities for some time. He boarded the ferry and dropped down dead of a heart attack.

Back