Abby Fisher's Corn Egg Bread

I've been looking for a corn bread recipe that used only corn meal, not flour. This looks like it! Unfortunately, I can't pass it on to my son with wheat allergy because he also is allergic to dairy. Wonder how this would taste using water with vinegar instead of milk?

What about milk substitutes like almond milk and soy milk?

The 'no jiggle' part makes me think of Custard Corn Puddings. Should give this recipe a shot, but probably need to kill that expectation first.

Yep, my gramma actually had a "cornbread skillet" which was only to be used for this purpose.

I used to have a sectioned one for cornbread, and I am so kicking myself for getting rid of it when I went on a de-junking binge once! I don't like all cornbread in skillets, but I have one particular recipe I make with bacon grease that I wouldn't dare make in anything but cast iron. It's fine in the regular skillet, but I think it'd be even better in the sectioned one. They're dead easy to find in the south, but I never see them around here; need to stop in an Lodge store next time we get south again.

Updated Recipe for Mrs. Fisher's Corn Egg Bread:

Made the updated version in an iron skillet. Like copley, I used buttermilk, since it needed using. And I replaced the butter with bacon grease, for the same reason. Also followed copley's advice to up the grease and add a bit of salt -- I tend to think with recipes this old, "salt to taste" is generally a given.

It's a heavier corn bread than I'm used to (most of the ones I make are about half wheat flour), but good!

Back