A wonderful collection of Civil War dog photos

LoyaltyOfDogs

Sergeant Major
Official Vendor
I just ran across a great on-line album of photos of Civil War soldiers and their dogs. A few are familiar but most are photos I had never seen before. The Web site is French. Is anyone familiar with the site or do you know about any of the regiments or dogs pictured here? (I especially enjoyed seeing the furry little fellow sitting behind the drum, with the musicians.)

http://ccffcw.clicforum.com/t3294-civil-war-dogs-l-album-photo.htm

Last edited:
I just ran across a great on-line album of photos of Civil War soldiers and their dogs. A few are familiar but most are photos I had never seen before. The Web site is French. Is anyone familiar with the site or do you know about any of the regiments or dogs pictured here? (I especially enjoyed seeing the furry little fellow sitting atop the drum in front of the musicians.)

Thanks for posting....

Respectfully,

William

This one is my favorite... it looks like our Bichon somehow got hold of a TARDIS and joined the photo. (Over toward the left, next to the sailor reading the newspaper.)

h59430-25bd934.jpg

I just ran across a great on-line album of photos of Civil War soldiers and their dogs. A few are familiar but most are photos I had never seen before. The Web site is French. Is anyone familiar with the site or do you know about any of the regiments or dogs pictured here? (I especially enjoyed seeing the furry little fellow sitting behind the drum, with the musicians.)

This is an amazing website. The thread before the dogs shows many photos of CW horses and their owners, the thread after shows artwork of CW dogs. There are also 4 photos of Jeb Stuart at different times in his life. Thanks for posting. Many photos on this website I haven't seen before.

Brig. Gen. Rufus Ingalls with his horse and dalmatian at City Point, VA
02002r.jpg

Saw this on the list, although this isn't from the ACW, but the 71st Highlanders in Crimea
sans-titre-11-25bd89a.png

These guys are from the 7th Illinois Infantry
7illinois-25eefde.jpg

Charles R. Jennison, captain of the 7th Kansas Cavalry "Jennison's Jayhawkers" or "Red Legs"
charles-20r_-20jennison-28f35ca.jpg

Can anyone identify these guys?
10-mass-41acaf5.jpg

Last edited:
This is an amazing website. The thread before the dogs shows many photos of CW horses and their owners, the thread after shows artwork of CW dogs. There are also 4 photos of Jeb Stuart at different times in his life. Thanks for posting. Many photos on this website I haven't seen before.
Thank you for pointing out these other albums! I enjoyed them immensely. Recently read these words by Robert E. Lee about Traveller, and they seem especially appropriate to this gallery of noble horses:

(Gen. Lee writing to an artist who requested a description of Traveller)

“If I were an artist like you I would draw a true picture of Traveller—representing his fine proportions, muscular figure, deep chest and short back, strong haunches, flat legs, small head, broad forehead, delicate ears, quick eye, small feet, and black mane and tail. Such a picture would inspire a poet, whose genius could then depict his worth and describe his endurance of toil, hunger, thirst, heat, cold, and the dangers and sufferings through which he passed. He could dilate upon his sagacity and affection, and his invariable response to every wish of his rider. He might even imagine his thoughts, through the long night marches and days of battle through which he has passed. But I am no artist; I can only say he is a Confederate gray. . . . He carried me through the Seven Days battle around Richmond, the second Manassas, at Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, the last day at Chancellorsville, to Pennsylvania, at Gettysburg and back to the Rappahannock. From the commencement of the campaign in 1864 at Orange, till its close around Petersburg, the saddle was scarcely off his back, as he passed through the fire of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbour, and across the James River. He was almost in daily requisition in the winter of 1864-65 on the long line of defenses from Chickahominy, north of Richmond, to Hatcher’s Run, south of the Appomattox. In the campaign of 1865, he bore me from Petersburg to the final days at Appomattox Court House. You must know the comfort he is to me in my present retirement.”

~“Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee” by Captain Robert E. Lee, his son

I wonder if there is a way to translate this site by mashing a button on the keyboard. Would be neat to see a French perspective.

Back