A wonderful collection of Civil War dog photos

C
I'm looking forward to learning more about this photo, which appears earlier in this thread (and has been popular on Pinterest). Recently I ran across a FB post dated 2019 by a Wyoming historian who said a researcher colleague has identified the dog as Jefferson Davis, the regiment's mascot during 1864 and 1865. The post indicated the researcher plans to eventually publish something about the 7th Illinois and its dog. I'll keep an eye out for this. In the meantime, here is a link to a wonderfully colorized version of this picture, which was published by the British newspaper the Daily Mail on its website.

View attachment 395529
Color Guard complete with their Henry Rifles. This site states that the mascot was named"Jefferson Davis" as you mentioned. https://www.werelate.org/wiki/7th_Illinois_Infantry_(Civil_War)

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly, Mark. You would have had to have been an eagle eye to catch the ones blown up in the inserts. So, your dog is a time lord ?

I think it's just because she doesn't pay any attention to merely human time definitions. XD As my wife can attest when repeatedly awakened in the wee hours for... well, wee.

I just ran across a great on-line album of photos of Civil War soldiers and their dogs. A few are familiar but most are photos I had never seen before. The Web site is French. Is anyone familiar with the site or do you know about any of the regiments or dogs pictured here? (I especially enjoyed seeing the furry little fellow sitting behind the drum, with the musicians.)

http://ccffcw.clicforum.com/t3294-civil-war-dogs-l-album-photo.htm

Thank you so much for sharing this. Utterly delightful to scroll through.
A month ago, I lost the German Shepherd I was blessed to have at my side for ten years.
Most amazing canine companion I've ever known. Miss her terribly every single day.
Somehow, viewing these helped greatly.

Thank you so much for sharing this. Utterly delightful to scroll through.
A month ago, I lost the German Shepherd I was blessed to have at my side for ten years.
Most amazing canine companion I've ever known. Miss her terribly every single day.
Somehow, viewing these helped greatly.
You're welcome, @Georgia Sixth. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. They leave a void that nothing can fill, but I hope it helps you to know how fortunate she was to have had you to care for her. So many have no one.

They leave a void that nothing can fill
So very, very true. My daughter and I have placed her ashes on a corner stand looking out her favorite window. There's a water color of her done a few years back by a neighbor on the wall behind it. A selfie (one of billions) my daughter took with our beloved old girl sits in a frame on top. And a small knitted likeness (kind of a doll) that was done as a sweet tribute by my daughter's friend from second grade. Her memory remains, as does our affection for her.

Back