A widow’s trunk of memories...

Mrs. V

2nd Lieutenant
It certainly could be mourning clothes, although it's hard to tell. She's not wearing any obvious mourning jewelry. What do you think @Mrs. V?
Well, given how sad she seems..I’d say mourning clothes, but later mourning when she would have still been wearing black. The bodice is quite fancy, and that would have been “later” and before she would have gone to gray…as far as jewelry goes she jusst may not have had the funds. And if she didn’t have any of his hair, there would not have been any brooches/etc made.

farrargirl

Sergeant
Baldwin County, on the Alabama Gulf Coast
Well, given how sad she seems..I’d say mourning clothes, but later mourning when she would have still been wearing black. The bodice is quite fancy, and that would have been “later” and before she would have gone to gray…as far as jewelry goes she jusst may not have had the funds. And if she didn’t have any of his hair, there would not have been any brooches/etc made.
Thank you so much, Mrs.V. Wow...I did not know much about mourning etiquette. It makes sense. She gets the letter in July of ‘64. Her mother dies a few months before her own death. So I guess she died before she “would have gone to gray”....fascinating info, and much appreciated 👍🏻👍🏻...
Her obit, referencing her mother’s death and her four small children...
EA421110-9D34-4B1C-818C-893A5BCB0539.jpeg