A Western Reporter's Perspective About Eastern Union Soldiers (1863)

Discipulus

Sergeant
From the Pantagraph (Bloomington, IL) August 12,1863, Page 1, Column 3
From the 94th IL Vol Regiment, At Port Hudson, MS

I have seen a good many of the Eastern soldiers and officers. They have more discipline, dress better, have brighter guns, and “put on more style” than Western soldiers, but I don’t think they can do any better fighting than our Western boys. They are very obliging and accommodating, both soldiers and officers, and will answer all questions civilly and don’t act so saucily as our Western boys on some occasions. They are also not so “rough and ready” in their conversation.

Some of our Western soldiers, on account of their success, think they and all the Western men are better soldiers and fighting men than those of the East. That is a wrong idea. We are all alike as far as I can see, except that there appears to be more of the “pitch in” and careless style about our Western boys, and then fight it out after they are in. There is probably more caution in the Eastern soldiers, but they will fight as well when engaged.

There is, I know, more refinement of manners and more education exhibited among them, but no kinder and benevolent hearts do they have than Western boys.

All the white soldiers that were here during the siege of Port Hudson unite with one accord in praising the black soldiers here. They say the best fighting that was done was done by the blacks. I have seen some of these famous black soldiers. There are three regiments of them not far from our landing. A great many of the blacks around here talk French.

Back