GRAPHIC A Visit to the National Museum of Civil War Medicine

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
I actually asked, at Monocacy this time, what was the difference between being killed and mortally wounded. If the wound leads to your death, you aren't counted as "killed." So Joshua Chamberlain from Maine who died years later from his wound was mortally wounded. They used him as an example. Now, his wounds bothered him greatly for years, so it isn't like he was pain free and then suddenly dropped over and was labeled "mortally wounded," but that is the difference between killed in action and mortally wounded.

mofederal

Major
Mortally wounded was only if you later died from the wound. But 40 years later? I believe he died of some infection from the wound, but I wound not say he was mortally in 1864. I saw a number of online sources on his death, none of them listed him as having been mortally wounded. His war wounds did kill him, but he was not mortally wounded.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
The Museum in 1881:
mus1 - Edited.jpg
mus2 - Edited (1).jpg

[Evening Star, (D.C.), November 12, 1888]​

Deleted User CS

Retired User
Thanks for providing the great pictures of the Medical Museum in Frederick, Maryland. I have been trying to get to that museum but it seems I am always too busy with work to participate in these activities at this point in my life. However, one day I will visit this museum as well as the other places I have added to my bucket list. David.

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
The Museum in 1881:
DO note that this is NOT the same institution as the one featured in the thread; which is actually a private, non-profit one that has "arrangements" with the NPS but no other connection, nor I believe any public funding. I believe the one described here - including the notorious Dan Sickles' amputated limb - is at Bethesda, Maryland and IS Government-sponsored.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
DO note that this is NOT the same institution as the one featured in the thread; which is actually a private, non-profit one that has "arrangements" with the NPS but no other connection, nor I believe any public funding. I believe the one described here - including the notorious Dan Sickles' amputated limb - is at Bethesda, Maryland and IS Government-sponsored.
Apologies. You are, of course, correct.