A visit to Manassas & the Smithsonian

Free Agent

Corporal
Raised wooden walkway across the swamp from the Stone Bridge to Evans initial position.

2AB739FC-C0CF-4734-A051-A513A4366BCE.jpeg

Gen Phil Sheridan’s horse:
B9FB6AA0-7D14-49CF-A840-D5FE213265B5.jpeg

Clark Gables WWII uniform among war item displays at the Smithsonian.
2C63D31D-F1DB-477F-9017-A318028EC174.jpeg

82878E0F-BB0F-4E8C-BF73-E44EAEB9E5AC.jpeg

Section of bullet ridden witness tree.

At Manassas:
We first stopped off at the Stone Bridge, a significant location. Then took the walking loop along Confederate Gen Evans position.

Self guided walking tour with excellent descriptive signs giving you an excellent view and info about that part of First Bull Run.

Then a few miles away on Henry Hill is the visitors center. Excellent location and you can see and realize how the Innitial confederate lines were drawn and the battle developed.

Inside the visitors center is an amazing relief map with an LED show describing the battles. Clever as all get out a must see IMHO.

Then to Willard’s for a drink and dinner.
Rarely read any Civil War Bio where Willard’s isn’t mentioned.
The circular bar was full of congressional folk.

Next day Smithsonian where I wanted to see Charley McCarthy.
Well Charley is put in temp storage while they construct the new broadcasting wings of the American History Museum.
We did the entire rest of the museum though.

Dinner at the old Ebbitt Grill. A fantastic place.

Last edited:
1A3C3155-1B6F-45F0-8C8B-4004D231036C.jpeg
FBC0623F-A5FA-4668-8274-7419FEBAF475.jpeg
E135B336-896D-44CF-B8AB-7AAA089BDC7F.jpeg
I’m posting from my iPhone. One bar Verizon and the hotel WiFi is fussy.

Growing up in Hollywood Ca I missed out how beautiful the USA is.
But now these trips we take the side roads and really appreciate the magnificent Countryside.

While we’re at it we visited the Marine Corps museum in Quantico Va. and George Washington’s Home and distillery in Mt Vernon.
They still run the distillery a few months a year and sell the booze at $100 to $229 per bottle at the gift shops.

The working grist mill demonstration though a simple system we found interesting and pretty cool how they did it.
The home, mill and distillery are privately owned BTW.

C0802281-F7F4-4296-B7AC-24507D2C406C.jpeg

I picked up a copy of Ron Chernows Grant at the airport when we departed for DC.
Had it not been in small print it would have to have been 2 volumes.

The book flows nicely and is excellent reading.
Page 101 is a standout as I read my way through. It gets more into the meat and potatoes of Grant’s feelings about slavery.

After the Supreme Court decision Dred Scott and his wife were purchased by Taylor Blow a close friend of Grants and then Blow set them free.

Concerning his wifes slaves loyalty:
“ I do not why a black skin couldn’t cover a true heart as well as a white skin” - Grant

Page 100 mentions that Grant voted for James Buchanan because he personally knew Whig candidate Fremont and didn't think to highly of Fremont.

Grant was that close and connected to history before he himself made and was connected to history.

Last edited:
B7127D82-0907-4D0E-AD66-6C8E96C2D12E.jpeg
D0428E61-10E6-4959-9894-418F961D11D2.jpeg
We’ve been here a week and tomorrow we depart.
My wife was raised here, Switzerland, and New Orleans.
Spending her growing up years rotating from place to place. A terrific story and childhood.
She went to her class reunion Saturday and made contact with her friends from here.

Her family owns farms in the 3 locations and her girlfriends here all loved to visit because of the horseback riding, draft horse wagon rides and the wide open forest and meadows on their property. It parallels the C&O canal.
They all reminded her of that as they reminisced.

I see my wife’s heart warms as we visit her childhood places.
The Potomac River holds a spot in her soul.

I visit Switzerland which she loves and New Orleans too but this area in Maryland holds a super special place in her heart.

b9fb6aa0-7d14-49cf-a840-d5fe213265b5-jpeg.jpg

Renzi (or Winchester, whichever you prefer) must've been the subject of a dye job - as I remember, when I saw him back in 1964, he had faded to a sickly yellow because his case was in or near the foyer where sunlight was on it part of every day. I'm glad and very surprised to see him (or anything else having to do with Civil War history) still on display!

Renzi (or Winchester, whichever you prefer) must've been the subject of a dye job - as I remember, when I saw him back in 1964, he had faded to a sickly yellow because his case was in or near the foyer where sunlight was on it part of every day. I'm glad and very surprised to see him (or anything else having to do with Civil War history) still on display!
Nice picture of the sneakers reflection, James. :D

He deserves to look as gorgeous as he can be! In fact ALL of the horses who endured battles deserve to be honored like him. Obviously there's not enough room for that. Back then many horses were just slotted for transportation, and today for sporting, thrown away after getting sick or used up. Hence Sewell's reason for penning "Black Beauty" I commend Sheridan. I'd bet if Lee would've lived he would've done the same with Traveler.
That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about "stuffing" any one of my beloved horses, or dogs etc. , past or present after their death. However I do have clippings from their mane and tails … just like Victorians did with their beloved humans which included making jewelry with them. Staring into soulless glass eyes imbedded in past stuffed beloved's carcasses would serve only to break my heart daily.
But Winchester has larger a purpose and I'm glad he's there to live on and represent! I'm sure @Equestriangirl93 agrees!

Clark Gable served with the 8th Air Force in Britain. He flew in 5 combat missions as some kind of observer/gunner. One mission to Germany, his plane was hit by flak, lost an engine, attacked by fighters, had one crewman killed, and a piece of schrapnel went through his boot. When MGM studios found out, they begged the Air Corps to reassign him.

gable.jpg

Clark Gable served with the 8th Air Force in Britain. He flew in 5 combat missions as some kind of observer/gunner. One mission to Germany, his plane was hit by flak, lost an engine, attacked by fighters, had one crewman killed, and a piece of schrapnel went through his boot. When MGM studios found out, they begged the Air Corps to reassign him.

View attachment 206614

well, if they (anyone in fact) had his gun and some ammo at manssas that would have been a gamechanger :D

Back