A visit to Corinth and Shiloh

that for no evident reason simply disappeared in another of the several "renovations."
Unfortunately, during those sixty years you have been visiting we have been unable to add a single extra square foot of space to the exhibit area. It is a dilemma faced by most museums, including the Smithsonian. We would love to show off all of our artifacts but we just don't have enough space to do so. As a result, only a portion can be shown at any given time.
Several times a year we will put up temporary exhibit cases which allow us to put an extra few of the items before the public.
The frock coat you mentioned belonged to Maj. Horatio Nelson of the 7th Illinois Cavalry. It was put on display at Corinth when we opened in 2004 and remained on exhibit until replaced by the personal effects (sword, Bible, revolver) of Lt. Col. James S. Terral of the 7th Battalion Mississippi Infantry.
As for the items which are removed from display, they are put in a climate controlled storage facility at Shiloh.

@lupaglupa I am attaching the detail from a late 1862 image of Battery Robinett as the construction on the fortification continued post-battle. At the extreme right is the small Battery Robinett and the new walls of the expanded fort and the covered way. It is easy to make out the revetment inside of the covered way interior. (This is a favorite photo of mine by the way.) All of the Union fortifications in Corinth were designed by Capt. Frederick Prime who was responsible for much of the work at Vicksburg. Letters show Prime was a perfectionist and would have work done over if it did not meet his West Point standards. The large wall on the right was topped with a wooden palisade, reminiscent of the Hollywood old-west forts.
Detail1.jpg

@lupaglupa I am attaching the detail from a late 1862 image of Battery Robinett as the construction on the fortification continued post-battle. At the extreme right is the small Battery Robinett and the new walls of the expanded fort and the covered way. It is easy to make out the revetment inside of the covered way interior. (This is a favorite photo of mine by the way.) All of the Union fortifications in Corinth were designed by Capt. Frederick Prime who was responsible for much of the work at Vicksburg. Letters show Prime was a perfectionist and would have work done over if it did not meet his West Point standards. The large wall on the right was topped with a wooden palisade, reminiscent of the Hollywood old-west forts.
View attachment 338143

Thank you!!

Back