A Vast Sea of Misery: A History and Guide to the Union and Confederate Field Hospitals at Gettysburg

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Malingerer

2nd Lieutenant
This is a wonderful resource. I have one of the 1996 editions and Coco did a first rate job of researching scores of hospital sites. Maps could use some work though - for folks like me who don't know the neighborhood very well they kind of make for tough navigating - especially the Union hospital sites south and east of town.

I have not read this but this is of interest to me. My ancestor Private Danial Green, Company B, 61st Georgia Infantry was left behind after the Battle of Gettysburg at a field hospital as a "nurse" He was captured by the union army on July 5, 1863 and was sent to Point Lookout. He would later be exchanged on Chrismas day the same year and continued in the war up until the Battle of the Wilderness. It would be neat to find out exactly what he did as a nurse and what he experienced.

Malingerer

2nd Lieutenant
I have not read this but this is of interest to me. My ancestor Private Danial Green, Company B, 61st Georgia Infantry was left behind after the Battle of Gettysburg at a field hospital as a "nurse" He was captured by the union army on July 5, 1863 and was sent to Point Lookout. He would later be exchanged on Chrismas day the same year and continued in the war up until the Battle of the Wilderness. It would be neat to find out exactly what he did as a nurse and what he experienced.
A year and a half ago, I spent my entire spring break at GB and this book was one of my favorite resources along with the Laino maps.