A Valentine's Day Twofer, Confederate Soldier's Love Poem And The Act Of Kindness Delivering It

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
val soldiers in camp.jpg

A Union camp may be depicted in this snip from a Harper's Weekly spread for Valentine's Day but it doesn't matter. A Confederate soldier wrestled with epistolary composition somewhere in another camp, hoping to convey the right sentiments to his sweetheart. He did an awesome job. The Union soldier who found it did, too.

Best Valentine's Day story ever. Seriously, it gets Ten Arrows from Cupid's Review. I just made that part up but only because Cupid hasn't thought of it yet.

val conf 1.JPG

Maryland, 1863

OK, get this. Story is inclusive of not just the perfect poem for Valentine's Day at war but an act of kindness, too. If this were some apocryphal tale there's be snark, you know? Author of the poem would be portrayed as either deluded or lacking the ability to spell ( Northern papers did that ), or some pointed message would be attached. A poem written by a Confederate soldier was found, dropped and lost. Publishing it when found in the hopes it would get to the sweetheart anyway, an act of kindness.

val conf 2.JPG

****sigh*****, he's very good! If you're going to be drippy, this would be the way to go.

val conf 3.JPG

Isn't it wonderful? The Union man thought so too- and what a shame it would be if L***** did not see it.

val conf delivered.jpg

val conf 4.JPG

I wonder if he survived and they reunited? I guess we'll never know. I hope he did and they did.

Back