A Union Drummer and a Confederate Officer

Kurt G

2nd Lieutenant
These are both by Scale 75 and are 75mm (1/24) scale. The officer is white metal and I painted that one a few years ago . The drummer is in resin and was recently completed . The drummer is based on a print by Keith Rocco and is licensed by him. Scale 75 titled the officer as "The Casualty List" , but most people who see it think it's a "Dear John" letter. Painted in acrylics.

DSC_0334 (2).JPG

DSC_0349 (2).JPG

DSC_0347 (2).JPG

Superb painting on both these figures. The facial flesh tones are spot on, and I especially like the work on the drum.

The seated Officer is also based on a painting by Keith Rocco and is in his book ' The Soldiers View '
From the book, it states he is Lieutenant Colonel Henry Watson Williamson, of the 6th Virginia Infantry at the Battle of the Wilderness Campaign 1864. After the war he returned to civilian life in Lexington VA and became assistant professor and later librarian at V.M.I. He died in 1884 and is buried on the grounds of V.M.I.

Looking at the painting below it does appear to be a casualty list and not a 'Dear John' letter.
keith rocco.jpg

Superb painting on both these figures. The facial flesh tones are spot on, and I especially like the work on the drum.

The seated Officer is also based on a painting by Keith Rocco and is in his book ' The Soldiers View '
From the book, it states he is Lieutenant Colonel Henry Watson Williamson, of the 6th Virginia Infantry at the Battle of the Wilderness Campaign 1864. After the war he returned to civilian life in Lexington VA and became assistant professor and later librarian at V.M.I. He died in 1884 and is buried on the grounds of V.M.I.

Looking at the painting below it does appear to be a casualty list and not a 'Dear John' letter.
View attachment 389875
I wasn't aware of the Keith Rocco connection to the Confederate officer . There was no mention of it with the figure , though there was with the drummer and another Confederate officer figure by Scale 75.

I wasn't aware of the Keith Rocco connection to the Confederate officer . There was no mention of it with the figure , though there was with the drummer and another Confederate officer figure by Scale 75.
I wasn't sure myself but knew I'd seen it before, and with you mentioning Keith Rocco I looked it up.
It'll be interesting to know if Keith Rocco based his painting on a photo of Lt Col Williamson.

I wasn't sure myself but knew I'd seen it before, and with you mentioning Keith Rocco I looked it up.
It'll be interesting to know if Keith Rocco based his painting on a photo of Lt Col Williamson.
Keith Rocco is my second favorite military artist. I wonder if he saw the similarity to his print in the Confederate figure and contacted Scale 75 to come up with an agreement . I know that there would have been lawyers involved if this had happened to a certain other artist.

Keith Rocco is my second favorite military artist. I wonder if he saw the similarity to his print in the Confederate figure and contacted Scale 75 to come up with an agreement . I know that there would have been lawyers involved if this had happened to a certain other artist.
That sounds about right to me.

Back