Stonewall A Stonewall Jackson Bookshelf

image-6-jpg.jpg

I have most of the biographies of Stonewall Jackson as well as several on Chancellorsville. One account that I have not seen mentioned is Dr. Hunter McGuire's brief account of the wounding and last days of Jackson. What better source of how the General spent his last few days and especially hours than from the surgeon who attended him?
Another good read is from Chris Mackowski on the Mortal Wounding of Stonewall Jackson. Chris is one of the lead historians at Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania battlefields and a oft-requested speaker. I'm actually attending his lecture on this topic next week.

Much of McGuire's account is included in the Time-Life Voices of the Civil War volume Chancellorsville; here's most of the content in a thread I recently made about the subject: https://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/may-10-1863-the-death-of-stonewall-jackson.145734/

for anybody who has read the two volumes on Stonewall Jackson by Lenoir Chambers would you be able to tell me if it is as in depth or as detailed as Robertson's or is more for a beginner?

I’m reading Cozzens Shenandoah Valley 1862. Am about 100 pages in and it is excellent. His style of writing is excellent and keeps me very engaged in the story. Highly recommend.

I actually visited The Jackson house in Lexington the other day.I wanted to ask some that have read it,the biography on Jackson By James Robertson is that more for somebody that knows a grat deal on the subject on him already?I came across a few others online if anybody can tell me if they are good if you don't know much on Jackson.They are Rebel Yell By S.C. Gwynne,and Stonewall Jackson By Byron Farwell and the one By Lenoir Chambers.

thanks

I wanted to ask some that have read it,the biography on Jackson By James Robertson is that more for somebody that knows a grat deal on the subject on him already?
It was the first bio I read on the general (and so far the only one), and before reading it, I did not know much about Jackson. It was an excellent read, very well written and very detailed; I really felt like I knew Jackson after finishing. Though, whether the bio by Robertson is the one for you depends on how much you want to learn about Jackson; it really is very detailed - and not to forget long.

Last edited:
I actually visited The Jackson house in Lexington the other day.I wanted to ask some that have read it,the biography on Jackson By James Robertson is that more for somebody that knows a grat deal on the subject on him already?I came across a few others online if anybody can tell me if they are good if you don't know much on Jackson.They are Rebel Yell By S.C. Gwynne,and Stonewall Jackson By Byron Farwell and the one By Lenoir Chambers.

thanks
It was the first bio I read on the general (and so far the only one), and before reading it, I did not know much about Jackson. It was an excellent read, very well written and very detailed; I really felt like I knew Jackson after finishing. Though, whether the bio by Robertson is the one for you depends on how much you want to learn about Jackson; it really is very detailed - and not to forget long.

Hi, John - I see you DID find the thread after all! As I mentioned, I have as yet to read the Gwynne or the Farwell (and am in no hurry to do so) and the only one I've read by Chambers is the juvenile biography written in the 1960's. Other than the fair warning by luinrina above about length the Robertson is still probably still the Gold Standard of Jackson biographies.

Image (10).jpg

I realized I had neglected to mention in this thread that I finally got around to reading one of the Classics I'd mentioned in the very first post here, Stonewall Jackson And The American Civil War by G. F. R. Henderson, more simply retitled Stonewall Jackson in the 1961 one-volume edition pictured above. Briefly, I will say I found it to be long and sometimes tedious - mainly due to its 700+ page length and Nineteenth Century prose style - but overall very informative. A definite plus for pro-Southern readers is its favorable view of its subject and the Confederacy in general, remembering that Henderson was an Englishman with no axe to grind one way or another. For a somewhat fuller view, please refer to my review where I have compared and contrasted it with another somewhat similar classic by another Englishman, J. F. C. Fuller's The Generalship Of Ulysses S. Grant:

Last edited:
One of my all time favorites: Stonewall Jackson's Way, by John W. Wayland. Wayland was a Valley resident and historian in the first half of the 20th century who was a great source for Valley lore. This book is a richly illustrated (maps and photos) of the landmarks and routes associated with Jackson's Valley Campaign. It is as close as anyone can get to understanding the appearance of the Valley in 1862. Remarkable book. The cover below is an early edition. Morningside reprinted it in the 1980s:

1600455824342.png

Last edited:
Here is my collection of Stonewall Jackson books....
EC48C4A0-6FA0-43CF-9AE4-0E29C24AB36A.jpeg

When my son and I visited Jackson’s Valley Campaign last August, the Tanner book went with us. It was invaluable as a roadmap.
Yesterday, I read a most incredible book. On the far right is a softback, “Jackson and the Preachers”. The author helped tremendously in my understanding of his entire adult life. The unshakable certainty of his Presbyterian-influenced practice of Divine Providence. It, however, is not a religious book, but rather a historical, biographical account of the men who mentored him, guided him, and , in part, shaped every decision he made both militarily and in his personal life.
Here is the table of contents and a brief introduction to these men:

43B108AA-501D-4205-A948-3E3BC0A2F054.jpeg

I would highly encourage students of this legendary General to read this book. It’s narrative style is structured, yet easily read, revealing a most intimate portrait of the complex man we call Stonewall.
37EE30BD-E885-4C7B-ACF7-DACDA4F4ACA0.jpeg

Here is my collection of Stonewall Jackson books....View attachment 393858
When my son and I visited Jackson’s Valley Campaign last August, the Tanner book went with us. It was invaluable as a roadmap.
Yesterday, I read a most incredible book. On the far right is a softback, “Jackson and the Preachers”. The author helped tremendously in my understanding of his entire adult life. The unshakable certainty of his Presbyterian-influenced practice of Divine Providence. It, however, is not a religious book, but rather a historical, biographical account of the men who mentored him, guided him, and , in part, shaped every decision he made both militarily and in his personal life.
Here is the table of contents and a brief introduction to these men:

View attachment 393859

I would highly encourage students of this legendary General to read this book. It’s narrative style is structured, yet easily read, revealing a most intimate portrait of the complex man we call Stonewall.
View attachment 393861
Jackson And The Preachers sounds really good for an understanding of Jackson's world-view. Despite it's usefulness as a tour guide, you might want to upgrade to the second edition of Tanner's book because of the subsequent changes he made in his interpretation of events as described in my later review:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/stonewall-in-the-valley-by-robert-g-tanner.114704/

Last edited:
Jackson And The Preachers sounds really good for an understanding of Jackson's world-view. Despite it's usefulness as a tour guide, you might want to upgrade to the second edition of Tanner's book because of the subsequent changes he made in his interpretation of events as described in my later review:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/stonewall-in-the-valley-by-robert-g-tanner.114704/
Wow....I read your review. That book will be on my shelf very soon. As far as the paucity of Federal actions you referenced, I can only say, “Yes!”...😁

Well, my collection is small indeed compared to others. I have "They Called Him Stonewall" by Burke Davis and "Stonewall Jackson's Book of Maxims" by Robertson Jr. I like the this last one so well I gave a copy to my nephew. BTW, this is my first post on the forum.

DHK

I did find a few Stonewall Jackson novels.

The Stonewall Brigade by Frank G, Slaughter
Stonewall Jackson's House by Jonathan Reynolds - A play
Darkness at Chancellorsville by Ralph Peters
Stonewall Jackson's Elbow by John G. Billheimer a Mystery
Stonewall Goes West by R.E. Thomas
Cross over the River by Bruce Benidt
Stonewall Jackson and the Uppity Spy by Gregory Newson
The Gallant Mrs. Stonewall by Harnett T. Kane
Stonewall's Gold by Robert Mrazek
Stonewall in the Shenandoah by Wayne Vansant - a comic book
USS Stonewall Jackson series by Stephen Makk - adventures of a USS Navy submarine

Last edited:
Well, my collection is small indeed compared to others. I have "They Called Him Stonewall" by Burke Davis and "Stonewall Jackson's Book of Maxims" by Robertson Jr. I like the this last one so well I gave a copy to my nephew. BTW, this is my first post on the forum.

DHK
Welcome from Germany!
I guess you will soon find it difficult to resist buying all the great books that are recommended here! :smile:

Back