1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

A Stonewall Jackson Bookshelf

Discussion in 'Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson' started by James N., Mar 26, 2013.

1. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Exactly what I wanted to say! Donna, once again you speak my mind!
    James N., I can't thank you enough for intiating this thread and the very good reviews. As a beginner you see so many books and it is hard to decide what is worth reading. Now I've got an idea. Thank you all also for mentioning some fiction, of course I've read G&G, but in my opinion there is nothing like a good novel to wake your appetite for facts.

Northern Light, chellers and donna like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. JeffBrooks

JeffBrooks Sergeant Major

What about Make Me a Map of the Valley, the diary of Jed Hotchkiss?

chellers likes this.
  4. ghosts of civil war pasts

ghosts of civil war pasts Private

I have a 1953 ed. copy of Tom Jackson, Young Stonewall, given to me when I was a little kid, and today I still have the book. By Helen Monsell. 41An2Ok2yKL__SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Stony, Lazy Bayou, James N. and 2 others like this.
  5. chellers

chellers Brigadier General Moderator Trivia Game Winner

Lazy Bayou, James N. and theoldman like this.
  6. chellers

Lazy Bayou, James N. and theoldman like this.
  7. chellers

8. chellers

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  9. chellers

KansasFreestater and Lnwlf like this.
  10. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

This is an area we need more information about! I've also seen a "juvenile"/young person's biography of Jackson by James Robertson in a bookstore but have no personal knowledge of it, though being by Robertson I assume it's good. Does anyone know of one that could definitely be recommended?

chellers likes this.
  11. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

James N. likes this.
  12. KansasFreestater

KansasFreestater 1st Lieutenant

Due west of the Free State stronghold of Lawrence
    Ah, Frank Vandiver. I never took one of his courses, but he was a professor back at my alma mater, Rice University in Houston. His daughter was a classmate and a dormmate -- we lived on the same floor. Really fun gal, very friendly and high-energy. I always got the impression that her dad was the same way. Of course, back in those days, I had no interest in history at all! (What was I thinking?!)

13. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

14. JerseyBart

JerseyBart Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

chellers likes this.
  15. blwhite

blwhite Corporal

I have most of the biographies of Stonewall Jackson as well as several on Chancellorsville. One account that I have not seen mentioned is Dr. Hunter McGuire's brief account of the wounding and last days of Jackson. What better source of how the General spent his last few days and especially hours than from the surgeon who attended him?
    Another good read is from Chris Mackowski on the Mortal Wounding of Stonewall Jackson. Chris is one of the lead historians at Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania battlefields and a oft-requested speaker. I'm actually attending his lecture on this topic next week.

James N. and Nathanb1 like this.
  16. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

I highly recommend it. And I would have to agree with your assessment. There's a....joy....in his writing that really brings what could be a dull topic to life. He "gets" Jackson. His was the first biography of Jackson I read, and still is the most enjoyable in my opinion (although you MUST read Robertson if you want to be a real expert. :smile:)

17. KansasFreestater

KansasFreestater 1st Lieutenant

Due west of the Free State stronghold of Lawrence
    chellers likes this.
  18. littledoug

littledoug Corporal

Recommend Rebel Yell: The Violence, Passion, and Redemption of Stonewall Jackson by S. C. Gwynne, published just a few months ago. Same author as Empire of the Summer Moon. Very readable and enjoyable narrative. Delves into some of his "quirks" and obsessions but basically humanizes a rare individual. Doubt that it breaks any new ground (I'm not an expert) so don't know how much scholarly significance it may have, but for an interested dabbler with family background in the areas where he campaigned this is a great read that I couldn't put down. Some of the highlights for me: professorial style, or lack thereof, at VMI; relationships with women - sister, both wives, and sister-in-law; impatience in battle when he knew where he wanted to attack (especially contrasted with other generals of the time); and the rapport that very quickly developed with Lee.

pfcjking, chellers and James N. like this.
  19. James N.

Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

I've seen this in bookstores, and it's definitely on my radar for the future; glad to hear it recommended!

20. emb-lem

emb-lem Cadet

Hi everyone! Im Joe Im from Slovakia and Stonewall Jackson is one of my favourite generals. Im currently writing my diploma thesis about Stonewall Jackson and his contribution for the Confederacy. I know that James Robertson's Stonewall Jackson: The Man, the Soldier, the Legend & his Stonewall Brigade are a MUST. Do you know if they are availiable as e-books ? A copy from Amazon with shipping costs way too much. :frown:
    Any suggestions?

21. James N.

Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

Welcome to the Stonewall Jackson forum, Joe!

Unfortunately I can't answer your question, as I have the hardbound Robertson and have never bought or read an online book of any kind; I hope someone else can step up and help you. On a totally unrelated note, one of my "treasures" is a 1938-dated Czechoslovak Mauser rifle ( a VZ 27, if I remember right ), from the markings of which show it to have come from the Slovak factory instead of from Brno; likely it armed part of the Slovak force that fought against the Soviet Union in 1941. It shoots better than either of the German K98k's I also have!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)