A Spur With a Story: Santa Anna's Spur

Another Santa Anna artifact that has probably never been on display is "Santa Anna's trivet." In the early 1974 I was curator of exhibits at the San Jacinto Museum of History, located in the San Jacinto Monument. A lady proudly brought in an object to donate--Santa Anna's trivet, purportedly found on the battlefield. It was a plain pewter trivet, rather crude, no markings, with a small oblong hole melted through it. She assured us that Santa Anna had rested his bean pot on that trivet and the hole had been made by a Texan musket ball fired during the battle. I don't remember now what her reason was for believing this, but it was not very convincing. Our director, a genteel elderly lady, thanked her kindly and accepted the donation rather than question her veracity. As far as I know, "Santa Anna's trivet" is still gathering dust in the back of a storage cabinet in the basement of the San Jacinto Monument. Ask to see it next time you're there, and be sure to ask to see the basement of the Alamo next time you're in San Antonio.

Back