Discussion A Spot of Cannon Polishing

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Not full sized, but I did polish up some old souvenir brass cannons that either live on my display shelves or are in my education collection, awaiting the day that I do a presentation on the subject of Civil War artillery.

Of my modest four piece collection, my Gettysburg 12 pdr and one of two guns I have that are mounted on naval truck carriages were the most heavily tarnished. I started with the naval gun first, as it was worst off, and scrubbed it up with artificial steel wool, a process I used last year on a used brass belt buckle. The picture shows the gun halfway through the process. The technique worked well so I went on to the Napoleon and got it cleaned up, this time taking proper before and after pictures.

331F4F0F-4E8D-4C49-B8E5-C8FC5D6307B1.jpeg
93D43688-A449-494A-8806-76078E97A831.jpeg
01156950-D2C8-4A60-82CA-7EAFFE5C1F2B.jpeg

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I have about dozen of those - back in the 1960's and 70's I couldn't visit a "new" (for me) battlefield without getting a souvenir cannon! Let's see how many I can remember - Shiloh, Gettysburg, Antietam, Stonewall Jackson House, Chattanooga, San Jacinto (not all are Civil War!), Bunker Hill, Vicksburg...

Banjo Pete

Private
I had the exact same 12 pounder model as kid. Drilled the barrel down a bit deeper, cleared the touch hole. Then I would unravel a firecracker or 2, pour the flash powder down, wrap an appropriately sized pebble in tissue paper, ram it home and touch it off.

Not probably the wisest thing to do but nubody lost a finger and an eye or anything like that. Simpler times.

Enjoy and well done !

Virginia Dave

Sergeant
Did you ever see a carbide cannon? Had one as a child. Loud and fun.
I had the exact same 12 pounder model as kid. Drilled the barrel down a bit deeper, cleared the touch hole. Then I would unravel a firecracker or 2, pour the flash powder down, wrap an appropriately sized pebble in tissue paper, ram it home and touch it off.

Not probably the wisest thing to do but nubody lost a finger and an eye or anything like that. Simpler times.

Enjoy and well done !

John Winn

Captain
Did you ever see a carbide cannon? Had one as a child. Loud and fun.
Yeah - I had one as a kid. My father gave it to me because I liked things that went bang and he said he'd had one when he was a kid (born in 1908) so it seems they've been around as a toy for quite some time now. I don't remember what happened to mine; wish I still had it.