A Slave Reeanactor Gets it Right

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
I love that she was shown hand sewing her clothing and spoke of her interaction with the children she meets! Having them touch her garments and engaging them will make lasting impressions!

I have been encouraged several times to volunteer with our local historical society but have shied away because I really did not know how I would be able to fit in or if I would be able to bring anything of value to the discussion as a mixed race individual. This video encourages me to continue to explore that possibility.

Last edited:
I love that she was shown hand sewing her clothing and spoke of her interaction with the children she meets! Having them touch her garments and engaging them will make lasting impressions!

I have been encouraged several times to volunteer with out local historical society but have shied away because I really did not know how I would be able to fit in or if I would be able to bring anything of value to the discussion as a mixed race individual. This video encourages me to continue to explore that possibility.
I feel she is "honoring" those who came before her! We so easy forget the past and sacrifices. Wearing period clothing really brings the story to life!

Ms. McKnight is one of my heroes. :smile:
Reenacting the experience of enslaved African Americans is just one part of what she does. There's an immense amount of underrepresented American history out there. That's not a good thing, but it can provide an enormous field of opportunity for living historians. She's picked up the ancestors' baton and is running with it.

Viper21

Sergeant Major
I feel she is "honoring" those who came before her! We so easy forget the past and sacrifices. Wearing period clothing really brings the story to life!
Couldn't agree more.

She seems like a great person honoring her ancestors, & telling their story, in part, by dressing the part. Her attire alone, sparks conversation. Sparks interest in the story she wishes to share. Period clothing certainly does this, male or female, blue, or grey.

Couldn't agree more.

She seems like a great person honoring her ancestors, & telling their story, in part, by dressing the part. Her attire alone, sparks conversation. Sparks interest in the story she wishes to share. Period clothing certainly does this, male or female, blue, or grey.
Totally agree! Without representation of blue AND grey, there is no TRUE story to understand!
She is adding the other very, some would say the most important layer by reenacting a slave. A non famous one at that! The next generations would only benefit if only they would be taught more in school and listen instead of judging and being offended by any of this nation's past history.
Kudos to her!

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!