NF A Shower of Stars: the Medal of Honor and the 27th Maine

Non-Fiction

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
The 27th Maine, a 9-month regiment about to be discharged about the time of Gettysburg. The War Department foolishly promised them a "medal of honor" if they remained in service until the emergency ended. About one-third of the regiment did, 550 went home. Those who remained were held only a few days before they, too were discharged. In 1865, when the promise was remembered, it was found that nobody could come up with an official list of the names of those who had served beyond their time. So, Secty Stanton said, "Well, give it to all 864 of them!" Col. Mark F. Wentworth objected: he made up his own list of 299 men he knew had remained, and refused to distribute medals to the rest. 50 years later, they were all rescinded (some had already been refused, or returned by men who knew they didn't deserve them).

John J. Pullen (author of the ground-breaking The 20th Maine) published an account of the whole affair in 1997: A Shower of Stars: The Medal of Honor and the 27th Maine.

517ZBvM+iYL - Edited.jpg

An excerpt from one of the Amazon reviews:
This book originated from information encountered by the author in his research for his superb history of the Civil War's 20th Maine Infantry. It is written in the same clear and easy-to-follow manner. Though the story of the 27th Maine's non-eventful, 9-months' service in the defenses about Washington is quite adequately related, the real focus of this work is the mass award of the Medal of Honor to all members of the regiment, what happened to the medals issued, and how the award of these medals led to, in the 1890's and 1900's to evaluation of standards for issuance of the medal. The "politics" of this evaluation - involving such notables as President Theodore Roosevelt, Gen. Nelson A. Miles, Gen. Clement Ainsworth and Senator Henry Cabot Lodge - are admirably explored. The detective work of author Pullen in researching and tracing the distribution or justifiable non-distribution of the medal to members of the regiment by its commander, Col. Mark F. Wentworth is outstanding. The colonel's restraint in distributing the medal (and of those who did get them) had much to do with the Medal's not falling into disrepute during its first 50 years. ...As a history of an unexceptional Civil War regiment and even more-so as a history of the Medal of Honor this book is simply superb. I could not recommend it more highly to anyone interested in either the Civil War or the Medal of Honor. [review by Gene C. Armistead]​
“Before his death, Wentworth made secret arrangements to dispose of the remaining Medals in his possession. To this day the Medals, believed to number in the hundreds, remain unaccounted, despite the treasure hunting expeditions.”

Last edited:
The colonel's restraint in distributing the medal (and of those who did get them) had much to do with the Medal's not falling into disrepute during its first 50 years

This. I rarely buy new books ( yes, I know but still getting through old ones- may be up to 1880 ) but this is on the list to make an exception. @Mike Serpa , do you have this one?

This. I rarely buy new books ( yes, I know but still getting through old ones- may be up to 1880 ) but this is on the list to make an exception. @Mike Serpa , do you have this one?
No, but let me tell you a personal story. When I first started collecting photos for the National Medal of Honor Foundation Museum I would find photos in old books of recipients from the 27th Maine. Most of the books were published in the late 19th century. I would get excited because I found another photo. When I checked with the NMOHFM database they had no record of the recipient. It took a short while before I figured what was going on!

Last edited:
When I checked with the NMOHFM database they had no record of the recipient

This back and forth with MoH and recipients must drive them crazy.

Were there any other ' mass ' MoH recipients during the war? I mean, look at the 1st Minnesota at Gettysburg. Holy heck. Hancock said it had to be done and it did, 82% casualties? Bookmarked this site because it's such a great account. Small snip-

" The 1st Minnesota was outnumbered at least 6 to 1. The regiment was to be sacrificed for an uncertainty. Colonel Colvill turned to his men and ordered them to fix bayonets and “forward, double quick.” Not a single man disobeyed the order. At first they began moving in two lines, which they held as long as possible under punishing fire before driving straight into the center of the enemy. Their flag fell five times, and each time was picked up again. By the time they reached the enemy the 1st Minnesota was spread out fighting individually or in small groups. Still, they held their line and prevented the Confederates from pushing any further forward. "

This back and forth with MoH and recipients must drive them crazy.

Were there any other ' mass ' MoH recipients during the war? I mean, look at the 1st Minnesota at Gettysburg. Holy heck. Hancock said it had to be done and it did, 82% casualties? Bookmarked this site because it's such a great account. Small snip-

" The 1st Minnesota was outnumbered at least 6 to 1. The regiment was to be sacrificed for an uncertainty. Colonel Colvill turned to his men and ordered them to fix bayonets and “forward, double quick.” Not a single man disobeyed the order. At first they began moving in two lines, which they held as long as possible under punishing fire before driving straight into the center of the enemy. Their flag fell five times, and each time was picked up again. By the time they reached the enemy the 1st Minnesota was spread out fighting individually or in small groups. Still, they held their line and prevented the Confederates from pushing any further forward. "
Two regiments are tied with the most Medals of Honor during the Civil War. The 47th Ohio Infantry received 14 Medals of Honor at Vicksburg. The 1st West Virginia Cavalry has 14 Medals of Honor from eight different battles.

Back