A short conversation on immigrants during the Civil War

Very interesting! You two certainly went down some intriguing rabbit holes. If Mr. Peeks is fascinated by stories from everyday soldiers (as opposed to the generals), he would enjoy the diaries of Abner Small (Maine 3rd & 16th). It was a very good conversation: you two play off each other nicely.

Very interesting! You two certainly went down some intriguing rabbit holes. If Mr. Peeks is fascinated by stories from everyday soldiers (as opposed to the generals), he would enjoy the diaries of Abner Small (Maine 3rd & 16th). It was a very good conversation: you two play off each other nicely.
lol. It certainly was wide-ranging to say the least.

I gather that this was sort of an informal interview because I kind of got tired looking at the interviewer's forehead or looking up his nostrils.
I was defending Pat's accent--or, rather, lack of accent. Having lived for several years on Long Island and in NYC, I couldn't detect any accent! But I had to strain to understand Mr. Peeks--and I wanted to because he was quite knowledgeable.

Thanks to everyone who watched the video.
Enjoyed the video and as always I learned many new bits of history.
Pat your accent is different but I had my NY translation guide handy so it wasn’t too bad😍
Regards
David
I used to do conference calls with lawyers down in Texas and I usually led part of the discussion. One call I kept quiet and one of the Texas lawyers asked, with the deepest drawl, “can Pat Young say something, we love his accent.”

I was defending Pat's accent--or, rather, lack of accent. Having lived for several years on Long Island and in NYC, I couldn't detect any accent! But I had to strain to understand Mr. Peeks--and I wanted to because he was quite knowledgeable.
Yes, for a while there, every other word out of Mr. Peek's mouth was "um." I'm deaf in one ear and about 50% in my "good" ear so I use close captioning when it's available. There were so many ums in each sentence that sometimes I could not understand what he was saying but with Pat, I had no problem.

To be honest, I was offended by the manners of Pat's friend. I could not watch more than 5 minutes of it. Pat deserves better than the way he got treated, and my apology if my feelings were too blunt.
Lubliner.
Well,--that sort of manner is currently usual. If I hadn't encountered it before, I'd be inclined to agree; but cut the guy some slack: heed content and not context. 😏 Anyway, OUR Pat Young came out looking (and sounding) professional and intelligent! ☺️

I was totally bemused by this I thought Pat was clear and precise and on point , Some of the questions asked must have been embarrassing to Pat not that Pat takes that view but for heavens sake I nearly switched off half way through but in the end I stuck it out.

Back