A Short Bobbed Hairstyle for Young Ladies called "Shingling" became the RAGE across the South during the War!

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
short hair 1.jpg
Civil war short hair shingling (2).jpg

We tend to think of women having long hair in the past but cutting one's hair short was in vogue at times. During the regency era in Britain some women cut their hair quite short and it was very fashionable.
So true. I think most people today think that the "flappers" were the first women to cut/bob their hair short.

I imagine many women wanted to cut it even if they didn't (or felt they couldn't) - long hair is hot! And work to keep styled.
I couldn't even begin to imagine how hard it was back then without someone to help let alone considering they lacked the modern shampoos and conditioners etc. Sure they had there hair "products" back then that were worthy of use including their "false hair" and without proper upkeep, the blockade to supply the extras (they were starving and using eggs and milk for hair was most likely frowned upon) and the "help" gone no wonder they took their scissors to it! They held their cards close to their vests especially regarding matters of "personal care" in all of the diaries I've read do far other than this. I also wish I found out more from the young men how they felt if they were lucky enough to make it home in one piece and see the ladies that they were enamored with when they left and their "crowing glories" gone! Perhaps a trade off? You're lacking a limb and I'm lacking my hair? At least hair could grow back.

I had no idea the whole shingling thing was ACW, that's crazy. I think a lot of years ago research must have turned up the thing about women cutting hair when suffering some long term illness and it became accepted as the reason across the board. We've discussed ' not so fast ' on the topic here on the forum but I'm not sure anyone brought us shingling.

Thanks for the article. Another ' who knew? '.

What a beautiful young woman shown pictured above. I have no problem at all with her appearance....Very lovely....Somehow the short story "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" comes to mind. I have a wonderful photograph of my grandmother aged 16 years that was taken about 1926. She has the classic flapper hair bob and has a nice pearl necklace on. A year later my father was born. Here's a pic of my grandparents and my father taken on the boardwalk in Atlantic City NJ. She's still got the bob going on...
img20160409_15064475 (2).jpg

What a beautiful young woman shown pictured above. I have no problem at all with her appearance....Very lovely....Somehow the short story "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" comes to mind. I have a wonderful photograph of my grandmother aged 16 years that was taken about 1926. She has the classic flapper hair bob and has a nice pearl necklace on. A year later my father was born. Here's a pic of my grandparents and my father taken on the boardwalk in Atlantic City NJ. She's still got the bob going on...View attachment 319235
My grandmother and her sisters had their hair bobbed too! (Pics are far in my closet) Coco Chanel set the trend for the "waife" look cutting her hair and throwing away corsets!

I like her hair style. I can't imagine back then, shoulder length is annoying enough at times, I don't picture myself allowing it to grow too much longer. In fact shorter might be a good thing, less to worry about. And now I have an excuse about it at renactments. "Well, my slave is gone and we're on the run, so I just went and cut it off and be done with the distraction."

I like her hair style. I can't imagine back then, shoulder length is annoying enough at times, I don't picture myself allowing it to grow too much longer. In fact shorter might be a good thing, less to worry about. And now I have an excuse about it at renactments. "Well, my slave is gone and we're on the run, so I just went and cut it off and be done with the distraction."
Tell them you "shingled" it and that will get them curious!

I immediately thought of Jo Alcott selling her hair--but no tears involved. Even in the North, I can imagine losing servants to the war effort and not wanting to deal with one more thing!

Although most Native Americans had long hair due to religious and cultural reasons, the Zuni don't always conform, as evidenced by this Edward S. Curtis portrait. (My Navajo students at NMBS always winked and said, "Zunis are craaaazy!")

Edward-Curtis-Zuni-Girl-Native-American-photography-35mm.jpg

There's also a Native American tradition of cutting long hair in grief--which was also certainly a reason some women did so in every society. Bet we could find some Civil War women who did so. If your father/brother/lover died, it would certainly be understandable. Well done, @Belle Montgomery!

When i was first putting together my impression, I had short hair. I hid it in a hairnet/snood until it grew to an “acceptable” length. My first hairpiece has as an embellishment a ribbon with pink flowers at each end. I have no idea how old the thing is, but it looks mighty Victorian!

My grandmother and her sisters had their hair bobbed too! (Pics are far in my closet) Coco Chanel set the trend for the "waife" look cutting her hair and throwing away corsets!
Coco Chanel? Ouh là là. C'est si bon.
"Pour être irremplaçable, il faut toujours être différent."
("In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different".)

Coco Chanel? Ouh là là. C'est si bon.
"Pour être irremplaçable, il faut toujours être différent."
("In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different".)
I immediately thought of Jo Alcott selling her hair--but no tears involved. Even in the North, I can imagine losing servants to the war effort and not wanting to deal with one more thing!

Although most Native Americans had long hair due to religious and cultural reasons, the Zuni don't always conform, as evidenced by this Edward S. Curtis portrait. (My Navajo students at NMBS always winked and said, "Zunis are craaaazy!")

View attachment 319261

There's also a Native American tradition of cutting long hair in grief--which was also certainly a reason some women did so in every society. Bet we could find some Civil War women who did so. If your father/brother/lover died, it would certainly be understandable. Well done, @Belle Montgomery!
Ouh là là. C'est si bon.

Back