A Sad Letter

JAGwinn

Retired User
From Kelley & Ferguson Family Bible

Knob Noster, Missouri June 5th 1867

Dear Brother and Sister

After a long delay I have set down to try to write a few lines although it has been a long time since I have written to you. I assure you it is through no disrespect. Ada has been sick going on four months her sickness terminated in cankered sore mouth or gangrene of the mouth there was about Eight weeks of the time we expected her to die at any time it ate all her under lip off clean down to her chin and part of her upper lip and all of the lower part of her right cheek clean back to the lock of her jaw but she is getting well but poor little babe she is ruined still I am in hopes she will out grow it a great measure I intend to have a lip put on for her. Well Dan times is pretty hard here Money matters is getting very close everything high provisions is very high flour is $9.50 per ____ corn mean $1.20 per bus Bacon from 14 to 15 cts per lb and everything in proportion Milk cows is worth from $40.00 to $50.00 horse high. The wheat crop is first rate oats is good corn looks as fine as I ever seen I think if it continues as seasonable as it has been corn wont be worth more than 15 or twenty cts per bus we had the coldest backwardest spring I ever seen but when it did turn warm things just growed right up we are not attending any crop this season I and Frank are working on a brick yard this summer at one dollar and fifty cts. per day each. Well Dan I have not hear from any of you for a long time I want you to write and tell me all the news. Be cirten and tell me how Dow is and whether he is doing anything or no, we Dan they have a society called the vigilence society and they are hunting up all the Bushwhackers and thieves and hanging them, they have hanged lots of them this spring when ever they get hold of any of them and he cant prove himself clear by two good witnesses and they can prove him guilty by two they just take him to a limb and make them look up a string they verry often have two hanging on one tree they don't use the civil law they have a law of their own they caught two of the fellows that helped rob the bank of Richmond Virigina and just hanged them right up. They are doing some good deeds, Bushwhackers and Robers has to be very cuning if they don't get them, Dan I want you to tell as near as you can how time is there and whether you think a poore fellow can mak money as easy and as fast as he could when we was there I still feal like I want to come back if it is so I ever can and ther is still a chance to make anything there I want you to give me the prises tell me what cotton is worth and whether thare any money to be made raising yet or no what is weat potatotes worth and all other kinds of vegetables, this leaves us all well and getting well may it find you all well we remain you Brother and Sister and friends

Back