A.S. Johnston's "tin cup"

JoeReb44

Cadet
I am wondering if anyone knows if the tin cup AS Johnston picked up at Shiloh is on display anywhere? Or what ever became of it?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Welcome to the forum. That is good question about the tin cup. I never been to Shiloh but hope to one day. I have tried to find out what happened to the cup but no information as of yet. Maybe some Shiloh experts on forum would know.

The cup would be prize possession for any museum or person who collects Civil War things.

ErnieMac

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Welcome to the forum. It's just a guess, but I'm thinking that it was lost in the confusion of the battle and Johnson's wounding and death.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Since it was likely only a regulation U.S. tin cup as pictured in Troiani's painting, there would've been absolutely NO way to identify it after his death and I imagine there was a LOT more on everyone's mind at the time!

Welcome to the forum.

bankerpapaw

1st Lieutenant
It would be great to find the cup, but I would imagine once Gen. Johnston got hit, the cup was the last thing on
everyone's mind.

DixieRifles

1st Lieutenant
I was resding an account of Shiloh and General Johnston saluting with his tin cup. The account I read said Colonel Statham's brigade was hesitant to advance. After Governor Harris failed to rally them, Gen Johnston rode over and touched their bayonets with his cup.
What is the true story of this event??

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!