In the Field A Return To Redbone Church - Vicksburg, MS

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
I got off work early this afternoon and had a choice - either work in the yard or make a drive over to Vicksburg's Redbone Church to revisit the site I had written about earlier this summer on this forum.
My common sense won out and I soon found myself traveling west to the river city and A Return to Redbone Church!
This time I was on a mission.
@ucvrelics had encouraged me to get some of the limbs from the ancient cedar trees in the cemetery so he could get some "witness tree" pens made.
I was lucky enough to find some that had fallen during a storm and so I sawed them up and loaded them in my truck.
But while at the site, I wanted to document some of the surroundings and post on this thread.
I hope you find it interesting, as well as a good companion to my earlier writing on the site.

1. The picture of the cemetery with the church in the far background lines up perfectly with the sketch done of the skirmish on September 25, 1863. I am standing close to the exact spot that the artist depicts in his sketch panorama.
2. The photos of the glass shards and brick line up with the house structure that stood on the site (parsonage maybe?) at the far end of the cemetery. Some of that transfer pottery dates to the early 1800's.
3. The cedar trees are huge. The one I collected the limbs from measure 4 feet in diameter. Some trees in the cemetery may even be more. These are truly witness trees as surely they were present during the skirmish and encampments during the civil war years.
4. I also got a good frontal photo of the present Redbone United Methodist Church. It's been rebuilt several times in its 200+ year existence, but she still stands.
5. In the back of the cemetery is the oldest grave that I've ever found in there. It's the grave of David Greenleaf (born 1763-died 1819). He served as a drummer boy during the American Revolutionary War. He came to Mississippi and served in the territorial legislature in 1814. He died in the Redbone community in 1819.

Hope you enjoy the return trip tour of this historic little treasure, stuck away in rural Warren county, Mississippi.

rb1.JPG

rb2.JPG

rb3.JPG

rb4.JPG

rb5.JPG

rb6.JPG

rb7.JPG

p1.JPG

Last edited:
Hope you enjoy the return trip tour of this historic little treasure, stuck away in rural Warren county, Mississippi.
Great Photos and Thanks for getting the wood. They will make some nice witness pens.

Wonderful pictures! Did you take away the pieces of pottery? I must admit I might not have been able to do so..I love things like that, and sometimes use them in jewelry making.

Wonderful pictures! Did you take away the pieces of pottery? I must admit I might not have been able to do so..I love things like that, and sometimes use them in jewelry making.
I left them there. Although, I have taken pottery from other sites and made things from them as well.

Back