A Reminiscence of the Crater at Vicksburg

I just posted an interesting reminiscence of a Union soldier who fought in the crater at Vicksburg. It can be found here:

https://mississippiconfederates.wor...-me-a-story-of-the-death-crater-at-vicksburg/
Thanks Jeff--very interesting. Always enjoy it when written by someone who was actually there. Also interesting that by that time, 1906, they were calling it Third Louisiana Redoubt. I always wonder if those names come from the soldiers, or some government bureaucrat in the 1960's. The Yankees called it Fort Hill at the time, it seems.
Is the two gun battery that he refers to, that was where the Illinois monument is now, the same as Battery Hickenlooper? Your website is always fascinating, thanks!

That was a great read. Does anyone else have doubts about that "negro who was tossed up with the earth, came down on our side of the line unharmed"? It's told in so many accounts but seems highly unlikely.

That was a great read. Does anyone else have doubts about that "negro who was tossed up with the earth, came down on our side of the line unharmed"? It's told in so many accounts but seems highly unlikely.
No you can read about it in Ed Bearss' 3rd volume of his Vicksburg Campaign. What is told by Ed but not repeated by most Yankee historians is that the negro ran back towards the Confederate lines, and had to taken by musket-point to the Federal lines. See p. 928, footnote 61, vol.3 Vicksburg Campaign.

Back