1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

A Ransom For Gettysburg Painting T&N

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Gettysburg Greg, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

"A Ransom for Gettysburg" by local Gettysburg artist Amy Lindenberger, depicts General Early's arrival in Gettysburg on June 26th, 1863 when he made his ransom demands from the citizens of Gettysburg. The setting is across the street from the present day Blue and Gray Bar and Grill that resides in the 1863 structure seen in the painting.The Wills house is on the left. I happened to snap the similar now view several years ago when it was the Plaza Bar and the Wills house was still white. As I understand it, the ransom demand was $10,000 and supplies, little of which he actually received.
    early stret.jpg

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Iron Brigade

Iron Brigade Private

Love these "Then and Now" pictures, thank you for sharing them.

4. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant Major

Thanks @Gettysburg Greg ....as I understand it, the Gettysburg town fathers paid no ransom to Early, but instead opened the stores of the town to whatever they wanted to take. Early's ransom demands were extremely unrealistic not to mention unreasonable for a "country" town that size with no industry. I think Old Jube was just trying to scare the pants off of them and it worked because he seemed to be satiated by the town letting them have carte blanche with their stores and private residences. Now...whether he would have "applied the torch" for non compliance is anybody's guess. :D

5. Tom Elmore

Tom Elmore First Sergeant

When Early was in the town square on June 26, he noticed a man (Professor Martin L. Stoever) observing him from the upper floor of his residence, located in the southwest corner of the town square, which I presume is the building just to the left of center in the painting. When Early returned to the square in the late afternoon of July 1, Professor Stoever saw him again up close, noting that "Gen. Early was dashing along with bluster and self-importance. Stopping, he raised his finger and said, 'I know you. I saw you up at that window last Friday.' ..." [online reference to Firestorm at Gettysburg, Civilian Voices]

This encounter illustrates how observant Early was, with a prodigious memory for details, which speaks to his ability as a division commander. The painting seems to reinforce the point, showing Early taking in everything around him. Love it!

(Just realized the painting may be facing east, which means Professor Stoever's residence is behind the viewer's perspective. One may imagine he noticed the Professor moments before this scene.)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    donna, PeterT, lelliott19 and 6 others like this.
  6. infomanpa

infomanpa Sergeant

Here is the way it looks now...and yes, the Wills House is restored to its original color..
    Capture.JPG

7. mofederal

mofederal 2nd Lieutenant Member of the Month

I really like the views Greg. I like how you used the of painting as a basis of the then picture. I also like the modern views. Thanks for posting.

JohnW. and Gettysburg Greg like this.
  8. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Thanks for posting. Always enjoy the then and now.

mofederal, JohnW. and Gettysburg Greg like this.
  9. Phiip McBride

Phiip McBride Private

A fine painting with an appreciated context. Well done.

mofederal, JohnW. and Gettysburg Greg like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)