NF A question regarding Douglas Freeman's biography of Robert E. Lee ?

Non-Fiction

BarryR

Corporal
I was first aware of this biography on this forum and did some extensive reading about the biography but not yet reading the biography itself....So I went in search to purchase the four volume set..I had read on this forum (I have searched extensively, but cannot find the post) to only purchase the "red" volumes or something that.. Can someone elaborate before I spend the money...???

I did a quick search of the forum, and the only post where that came up his here:
The red, horizontal volumes are Freeman's biography of General Lee (a must have, in my view).
Drew isn't saying that the volumes need to be red, but that the red books seen in the post's picture are Lee's biography - the biography being a must have. :smile:

If you don't mind reading online, you don't have to buy the books. You can read the biography either here http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/e/gazetteer/people/robert_e_lee/frerel/home.html or look for them on archive.org. I personally am reading it on the uchicago site.

I checked them out of my local library rather than spend the money, though now that I've read them, I'd love to own the four volume set at some point.
That is the problem, isn't it? I enjoyed reading Shelby Foote's books, which I borrowed from the library. I liked them so much, I bought the boxed set, which I am embarassed to say, I have not opened yet, six years later. BUT, they were important to me to add to my library, and I don't regret the purchase at all.

I cant read them on a screen !!! I mean not four volumes.. I have no problem buying the set as they are reasonably priced (Ebay)...But I cant fine the post regarding which set to purchase...The one set had some advantage over the other..It was this year but I cant seem to find the post, but havnt given up...!!! Thanks guys...

Here are the two different sets....
151GzRFnstAL._AC_UL160_.jpg
419h8wh8ArL._AC_UL160_.jpg

I just dont recall what the poster said regarding the two....

I guess they're like the original "Tarzan" books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I have all of them that my father read back when he was a boy in the early 30's. I don't have the 4 volume collection that Freeman wrote. I wish I did. I do have the Centennial re-issue of "Lee's Lieutenants. "

I cant read them on a screen !!! I mean not four volumes.. I have no problem buying the set as they are reasonably priced (Ebay)...But I cant fine the post regarding which set to purchase...The one set had some advantage over the other..It was this year but I cant seem to find the post, but havnt given up...!!! Thanks guys...
I feel your pain! I much prefer holding the book in my hands and referring back to past pages or to footnotes.
I read Freeman's R. E. Lee on line at http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/People/Robert_E_Lee/FREREL/home.html

They're the same thing. Buy the set you like the most. :thumbsup:

The gray and red set with the cameo of Lee on the cover is the Pulitzer Prize Edition and the red ones appear to be the 1935 first edition. Same 4-volume sets - different editions.

Thank You gentleman, Ill bid with confidence then...but first Ill see if a Sutler has them at Narcosee this weekend !!!

Back