A Question... How Accurate is the NPS Soldiers and Sailors Search?

FrazierC

First Sergeant
I've used the NPS' Soldiers and Sailors search function numerous times, but I'm starting to think that their records are somewhat more than incomplete:
For example, there's no "General Robert Lee" who served in the Confederate army.... a little strange.
Furthermore, there's no "General George E. Pickett" either; only a "George R. Pickett."
Several other prominent figures are not included. I supposed that maybe they didn't include them because they were too obvious, but they did have Ulysses S. Grant listed.
Anyone have any ideas why it doesn't have some of these people?

Frazier, Lee is included, as R. E. Lee.

However, to answer your broader question, the NPS database was created directly from the list of compiled service records (CSRs) at NARA, including duplicate/alternative names. So yes, there are substantial (and identical) gaps in both. I tend to use them together, looking up a name in the NPS database first, then going to Fold3 to review individual CSRs in detail as needed.

Frazier, Lee is included, as R. E. Lee.

However, to answer your broader question, the NPS database was created directly from the list of compiled service records (CSRs) at NARA, including duplicate/alternative names. So yes, there are substantial (and identical) gaps in both. I tend to use them together, looking up a name in the NPS database first, then going to Fold3 to review individual CSRs in detail as needed.
Alright, thank you. I guess I just searched wrong or something. Thanks for the tip about the CSRs; I honestly never even considered that they may be online. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

Alright, thank you. I guess I just searched wrong or something. Thanks for the tip about the CSRs; I honestly never even considered that they may be online. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

All the Confederate CSRs are online via Fold3, most USCTs, and a handful of other Union states' units. For most Federals, you still have to order them on paper the old way.

I don't use NPS Soldiers & Sailors as much as I used to before I gained access to Fold3. The new search feature has it pro's and con's. Sometimes, it seems I have no luck in locating a name that should be there.
I was searching for a soldier who went only by his initials and surname. I could not find him; a search by surname produced thousands of hits. And it turned out he was not listed under a branch of service that I thought. This soldier was an Officer.
I eventually found him in Fold3 under the file they have for Officers & Staff. This category includes medical personnel who were assigned to hospitals. It would be great if there was a search feature in NPS that allowed you to be more specific.

Another part of NPS is their Prisoners database. The information contained in there has several errors. And I truly believe the error was introduced in recent times by NPS and not the archives. I talked to the Park Ranger at Prisoner of War Museum in Andersonville and they are building their own database that they claim is more accurate than what you see on NPS website.

After searching through Fold3 and browsing through the index cards on file, you soon realize that the archives made several errors in spelling of surnames. They did a good job of catching them and correcting them. They inserted a card that would direct you to the correct spelling. However, you do find duplication. I just wonder how this is handled in the NPS database? Could there be many more names in their database than there were actual soldiers who served?

Could there be many more names in their database than there were actual soldiers who served?

My understanding is that S&S is (barring transcription errors) is a direct copy of the CSRs at NARA, in which case the answer is yes.

Back