A question about the uniforms of Louisiana infantry around Shiloh

ZakaryDawson

Cadet
hello, I recently found out about a family member C.F.Sise who participated in the civil war and I was wondering what kind of uniforms (colouration, general specs) servicemen would use in the Louisiana infantry more specifically the Crescent Regiment. He was in company B and held the rank of corporal if that helps at all. This is my first post here so if I have done anything wrong in the way of formatting my post pls let me know. any information about the specifics that could possibly be his uniform would be very much appreciated.

As I remember the Crescent Regiment, like many other early-war regiments both Union but especially Confederate, went to war wearing knee-length frock coats. Corporals were designated by two inverted chevrons usually sewn directly to the sleeve material.

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your Southern heritage!

As I remember the Crescent Regiment, like many other early-war regiments both Union but especially Confederate, went to war wearing knee-length frock coats. Corporals were designated by two inverted chevrons usually sewn directly to the sleeve material.

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your Southern heritage!
do you know anything about the coloration of fabrics they used for kepis and the like?i want to purchase some confederate uniforms stuff and i want to be as accurate to his regiment as possible. He was actually from New Hampshire but married an Alabaman woman and he also worked as a blockade runner and Jefferson Davis's secretary.

do you know anything about the coloration of fabrics they used for kepis and the like?i want to purchase some confederate uniforms stuff and i want to be as accurate to his regiment as possible. He was actually from New Hampshire but married an Alabaman woman and he also worked as a blockade runner and Jefferson Davis's secretary.
Unfortunately I don't but there are members here who might: calling @ucvrelics

Welcome Zakary from South Florida and the Reenactors forum. If you'd like to dive into Confederate uniforms a great place to start is adolphusconfederateuniforms.com and click on to new research and start out with the basics of Confederate uniforms and go from there. I think that will give you a good picture of what you're looking for.

Welcome!

This jacket in the Museum of the Confederacy is said to have been worn at Shiloh by John Dimitry in Co. C of the Crescent Regiment:
https://moconfederacy.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/E2D0A35A-9144-49FD-97B1-232862252540

However, in Larry J. Daniel's book on Shiloh he says that the regiment was uniformed in dark blue coats and trousers.

I also have a thread on the Crescent Regiment, but not much else on uniforms there:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/crescent-regiment-24th-la-inf.132661/

Welcome!

This jacket in the Museum of the Confederacy is said to have been worn at Shiloh by John Dimitry in Co. C of the Crescent Regiment:
https://moconfederacy.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/E2D0A35A-9144-49FD-97B1-232862252540

However, in Larry J. Daniel's book on Shiloh he says that the regiment was uniformed in dark blue coats and trousers.

I also have a thread on the Crescent Regiment, but not much else on uniforms there:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/crescent-regiment-24th-la-inf.132661/
which in your opinion do you think was more largely worn? or what would i semi wealthy corporal wear?

Page 129 of the Confederate "Echoes of Glory" book has a picture of a frock coat and trousers worn by one Pvt. Joseph B. Philips of the Crescent Regiment and may have been wearing it at Shiloh, which he died shortly afterwards. The frock coat is a light gray color, probably jean, with yellow piping.

Page 129 of the Confederate "Echoes of Glory" book has a picture of a frock coat and trousers worn by one Pvt. Joseph B. Philips of the Crescent Regiment and may have been wearing it at Shiloh, which he died shortly afterwards. The frock coat is a light gray color, probably jean, with yellow piping.
Forgot about checking Echoes of Glory. Here's a photo from my copy....

Uniform 1.jpg

Welcome to the forum. As you can see it is a wealth of information and good questions like yours brings information that is of interest to us all. Please keep us informed as to where your research takes you on C. F. Sise. He seems like an interesting ancestor.

Most Louisiana regiment by 1862 were wearing uniforms from the State Penitentiary workshops. The cloth varied in color and hue, the cloth in most cases was cut out at the State Penitentiary workshops and locally sewn into uniforms. I have see claims of gray jackets, gray frock coats, light blue jackets, and dark blue jackets being worn by Louisiana regiments. For head wear I have seen hats, kepis. and Mexican War style glazed forage caps.

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. The Crescent Reg is much like the food in the State of Louisiana (jambalaya) there are several examples of early war uniforms from this regiment and from that we see that the regiment did not leave New Orleans all dressed the same. Some wore light blue frocks and waist coats and some grey uniforms which at Shiloh led to some confusion. Below is one from the museum in NO from Co. A. If I was going to choose one for reenacting I would have to go grey so that you don't have the same confusion as Shiloh. I have attached his Fold3 records as he was medically discharged right after the battle. I do know for sure what buttons some of the units wore as below is one from my personnel collection.
red-river-display-05.jpg

DSCN9597.JPG

DSCN9600.JPG

Attachments

• cf sise.pdf
    415.6 KB · Views: 57
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. The Crescent Reg is much like the food in the State of Louisiana (jambalaya) there are several examples of early war uniforms from this regiment and from that we see that the regiment did not leave New Orleans all dressed the same. Some wore light blue frocks and waist coats and some grey uniforms which at Shiloh led to some confusion. Below is one from the museum in NO from Co. A. If I was going to choose one for reenacting I would have to go grey so that you don't have the same confusion as Shiloh. I have attached his Fold3 records as he was medically discharged right after the battle. I do know for sure what buttons some of the units wore as below is one from my personnel collection.
View attachment 259845
View attachment 259846
View attachment 259847
wow, thank you very much this is some awesome information you have given me. I'm having some trouble reading the date when he enlisted do you know what it says. do you have any idea if there was any other battle he could have participated in, during that period? also was the crescent regiment part of the trans-Mississippi army?

He enlisted March 5 1862. He was in the Army of Mississippi. There was no further battle before he was medically discharged.

He enlisted March 5 1862. He was in the Army of Mississippi. There was no further battle before he was medically discharged.
At the end, it says something about L.R. 13.120 western De?? do you know what that would mean? thank you for everything you've given me I'm very grateful.

Welcome to the forum. As you can see it is a wealth of information and good questions like yours brings information that is of interest to us all. Please keep us informed as to where your research takes you on C. F. Sise. He seems like an interesting ancestor.
i know quite a bit about what he did outside of the war but the civil war is kind of a black hole in his lifetime were he didn't really mention anything, im the only person in my family to actually find this stuff out.

Back