A question about the uniforms of Louisiana infantry around Shiloh

Welcome to the Forum! I would start be doing a simple Google inquiry for the regiment. If there are any period studio pics floating around, they should pop up there. This will give you a pretty good idea of the unit's early war appearence.

As @major bill stated, by '62 Louisiana had established a uniform manufacturing system dependent upon incarcerated labor and local seamstresses to resupply the troops. Then there were private purchases... you say your ancestor was fairly well off? Then he might have purchased his own uniforms on occasion.

Shades of gray are always up for debate. Most all original surviving uniforms have oxidized over time, turning the natural dyes commonly used in that time period from a rich shade of gray to a faded, muddy, gray-tan color referred to as Butternut.

My research has shown that kepis were issued throughout the conflict, but soldiers in the field preferred the protection offered by slouch hats, the civilian style felt hats brought from home or purchased privately. Most were black or brown in color, though shades of tan were also to be had.

Rarely were issued uniform items made from the same shade or type of cloth. While the overall impression was that of a military uniform, hardly were the uniforms uniform from article to article or soldier to soldier.

Try mixing up shades of fabric, for an authentic look, and maybe mix in used items with new, as issued clothing items were often handed out sporadically, and different items wore at different rates. A note about private purchase uniforms, often a soldier with such means would order a matching set of clothing (kepi, jacket/coat, and trowsers) at the same time. These items would tend to share the same shade and material, and look sharp until something wore out and was replaced.

Good luck!

Welcome to the Forum! I would start be doing a simple Google inquiry for the regiment. If there are any period studio pics floating around, they should pop up there. This will give you a pretty good idea of the unit's early war appearence.

As @major bill stated, by '62 Louisiana had established a uniform manufacturing system dependent upon incarcerated labor and local seamstresses to resupply the troops. Then there were private purchases... you say your ancestor was fairly well off? Then he might have purchased his own uniforms on occasion.

Shades of gray are always up for debate. Most all original surviving uniforms have oxidized over time, turning the natural dyes commonly used in that time period from a rich shade of gray to a faded, muddy, gray-tan color referred to as Butternut.

My research has shown that kepis were issued throughout the conflict, but soldiers in the field preferred the protection offered by slouch hats, the civilian style felt hats brought from home or purchased privately. Most were black or brown in color, though shades of tan were also to be had.

Rarely were issued uniform items made from the same shade or type of cloth. While the overall impression was that of a military uniform, hardly were the uniforms uniform from article to article or soldier to soldier.

Try mixing up shades of fabric, for an authentic look, and maybe mix in used items with new, as issued clothing items were often handed out sporadically, and different items wore at different rates. A note about private purchase uniforms, often a soldier with such means would order a matching set of clothing (kepi, jacket/coat, and trowsers) at the same time. These items would tend to share the same shade and material, and look sharp until something wore out and was replaced.

Good luck!
thank you very much! I'll probably end up trying to get a slightly mixed uniform because the uniform im trying to create is from a soldier who only served 90 days. was it common for soldiers to wear their regiment number, company letter and the like on their Kepi?

thank you very much! I'll probably end up trying to get a slightly mixed uniform because the uniform im trying to create is from a soldier who only served 90 days. was it common for soldiers to wear their regiment number, company letter and the like on their Kepi?
Common in the Union army, not so much in the CS army, although some did it was not common. Stuff like that was hard to get in the south and became more so as the war went on.

what i've always found fashinating in a confederate unit, patchy uniforms, as described in the post by @Tailor Pete
Was the practice of purchase own uniform also a Union officer's tendence, or anyway for everybody who needed and could buy ?

This is how the late Tom Jones saw the 10th Louisiana Infantry as published in The Company of Military Historians Military Uniforms in America Plate No. 789. Art by Tom Jones, Color by Peter f. Copeland and the text was by Edward S. Milligan.

lou 2.jpg

Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure to come visit.
Regards
David

He was actually from New Hampshire but married an Alabaman woman and he also worked as a blockade runner and Jefferson Davis's secretary.
was medically discharged right after the battle.
I'm having some trouble reading the date when he enlisted do you know what it says.
At the end, it says something about L.R. 13.120 western De
Hello @ZakaryDawson and welcome to CivilWarTalk - the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion. The uniform guys have given you some great information on the uniform your ancestor Charles F. Sise would have worn during his service in the Crescent Regiment. I'd like to provide some additional information on your ancestor's service, if I may?

Charles F Sise
Enlisted as 3d Corporal March 5, 1862 into Captain Andrew F Hayne's Company, Crescent Regiment Louisiana Militia, at New Orleans, LA. Captain Hayne's company became Co B of the Crescent Regiment Louisiana Infantry. Sise's initial enlistment was for 90 days.

One of the cards in the file of C F Sise states that he was the subject of Special Orders "#54/5 Western Dept. #2 - Beauregard" dated May 8, 1862, by which order Sise was detailed for "extra duty" to report to Surgeon Robert L. Brodie. (Surg. Brodie was previously an Assistant Surgeon in the US Army, who resigned his position and applied for a commission in the CS Army medical service on May 4, 1861.)

On April 1, 1862, Surgeon Brodie was serving as Director of Hospitals at Corinth MS. On May 4, 1862, Brodie reported on his inspection of hospitals at Okalona, Columbia, and Macon MS.

Ok....now for the part related to your ancestor:
On May 8, 1862, Surgeon Robt L Brodie wrote requesting that Corpl C F Sise, Co B Crescent Regiment be detailed as clerk in his office.
1548650892506.png

As mentioned above, on May 8, 1862, Sise was the subject of Special Orders "#54/5 Western Dept. #2 - Beauregard" by which order he was detailed for "extra duty" to report to Surgeon Robert L. Brodie. He was discharged from duty June 10, 1862 by Dr J C Knott, Medical Director.

On November 13, 1862, Brodie was ordered to SC to inspect the Hospitals there. was later Medical Director on the staff of General PGT Beauregard, stationed at Charleston, SC.

I can find no further records on C F Sise, but it's important to note that additional records could be located somewhere else.....not necessarily in the file of the Crescent Regiment. He could have served as a Hospital clerk for Knott or some other surgeon? Or served as a Hospital Steward. Or he could have enlisted in another regiment.

Last edited:
Hello @ZakaryDawson and welcome to CivilWarTalk - the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion. The uniform guys have given you some great information on the uniform your ancestor Charles F. Sise would have worn during his service in the Crescent Regiment. I'd like to provide some additional information on your ancestor's service, if I may?

Charles F Sise
Enlisted as 3d Corporal March 5, 1862 into Captain Andrew F Hayne's Company, Crescent Regiment Louisiana Militia, at New Orleans, LA. Captain Hayne's company became Co B of the Crescent Regiment Louisiana Infantry. Sise's initial enlistment was for 90 days.

One of the cards in the file of C F Sise states that he was the subject of Special Orders "#54/5 Western Dept. #2 - Beauregard" dated May 8, 1862, by which order Sise was detailed for "extra duty" to report to Surgeon Robert L. Brodie. (Surg. Brodie was previously an Assistant Surgeon in the US Army, who resigned his position and applied for a commission in the CS Army medical service on May 4, 1861.)

On April 1, 1862, Surgeon Brodie was serving as Director of Hospitals at Corinth MS. On May 4, 1862, Brodie reported on his inspection of hospitals at Okalona, Columbia, and Macon MS.

On May 8, 1862, Surgeon Robt L Brodie wrote requesting that Corpl C F Sise, Co B Crescent Regiment be detailed as clerk in his office.
View attachment 260152
As mentioned above, on May 8, 1862, Sise was the subject of Special Orders "#54/5 Western Dept. #2 - Beauregard" by which order he was detailed for "extra duty" to report to Surgeon Robert L. Brodie. He was discharged from duty June 10, 1862 by Dr J C Knott, Medical Director.

On November 13, 1862, Brodie was ordered to SC to inspect the Hospitals there. was later Medical Director on the staff of General PGT Beauregard, stationed at Charleston, SC.

I can find no further records on C F Sise, but it's important to note that additional records could be located somewhere else.....not necessarily in the file of the Crescent Regiment. He could have served as a Hospital clerk for Knott or some other surgeon? Or served as a Hospital Steward. Or he could have enlisted in another regiment.
as far as i know, he didn't seem to do much medical work in his life but he was a prominent businessman and blockade runner he may have gone to another regiment afterwards or straight to blockade running. I will consult the biography I have on him to see if there is a gao were he could have possibly enlisted in another regiment. thank you very much for the information you have given me, any hints or things you know about him are welcomed.

Charles F Sise

View attachment 260152

it appears that from what i have read that it is possible he served as an intelligence officer for the Confederacy as certain remarks by Davis (a close friend of his and also the president) hint towards him carrying out such a position. the mentions a trip to Ohio but it goes no further. he only began his blockade running after the 9th of may 1863. he also had a new born daughter around the time he was discharged.

Back