Sherman A Problem: Where do I find the General Sherman fan club?

In the dumpster behind any local country club in Ohio. :wink::smug:

No but i'm sure there's a select few groups that really admire him and his tactics somewhere. My 5th great grandfather was pretty good friends with him before the war even as a pro-secessionist slave owner.

Sherman and Grant developed this strategy in a hotel prior to him moving out grant had learned this idea of living off the land in Mexico and then again during during the vicksburg campaign. There were several reasons for this idea to spread desertion in the southern armies to disrupt their food supplies and play havoc with their morale at the same time feeding your men. Do you understand the theory of how much a horse and wagon can carry and for how many men. They also knew they had to break the will of the people who were still supporting their army. The idea of this March was threefold and Sherman was brilliant he might not have been the first to do this but he was on the scale of this and he did make Georgia howl.. Not to mention the Place where secession starting South Carolina.

What a thread! I'm looking for some direction concerning this guy.
Tons written on what he did. Why he did it seems to be based on his quotes, from what I can gather.
I guess it's the "why question before the why he did it question" that interests me. Some how he developed this rationale for "hard war". He had to have justified its usage to himself. I get the impression that when he spoke about it or defended his actions he had a clear conscience. There was no "angst".
Is this covered in any threads? My searches didn't produce. So many books on him (so many editions of his memoirs). Best recommendations?
Thanks.

The Hard Hand of War by Mark Grimsley covers the evolution of Union policy, and of course the title comes from one of those many Sherman quotes. And Sherman's Civil War gives you the unfiltered 200 proof Sherman.

What a thread! I'm looking for some direction concerning this guy.
Tons written on what he did. Why he did it seems to be based on his quotes, from what I can gather.
I guess it's the "why question before the why he did it question" that interests me. Some how he developed this rationale for "hard war". He had to have justified its usage to himself. I get the impression that when he spoke about it or defended his actions he had a clear conscience. There was no "angst".
Is this covered in any threads? My searches didn't produce. So many books on him (so many editions of his memoirs). Best recommendations?
Thanks.
Are we talking about Sherman or Grant?

"My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their innermost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom."

What does that last sentence mean? It's paraphrasing the Bible. Did he think he was an avenging angel? How do you think it fits into the quote? Why did he say it?

"My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their innermost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom."

What does that last sentence mean? It's paraphrasing the Bible. Did he think he was an avenging angel? How do you think it fits into the quote? Why did he say it?
"Wisdom" was the realization that surrender was the only option open to them. "Fear" of the consequences of continued resistance was the beginning of that realization.

Back