A Post Civil War Short Film with exciting opportunities for extras

My name is Alex Fofonoff and I am embarking on my thesis film. It's a post-Civil War period piece that deals with a subject we have seen very little of when it comes to representing the period in films. I want to talk about the difficult transition soldiers went through at the war's end, and what price was paid to feel a sense of peace. Below is a brief synopsis:
Following the end of the American Civil War, Robert, a wealthy Northern general’s son, comes back from abroad, determined to take responsibility for the death of a man he hired to fight for him. However, during a raucous post-war celebration at his family home, it becomes clear that not everyone shares his romantics of self-betterment.
Searching the house for his father, he encounters a variety of people the war has affected. Soldiers who have enjoyed the taste of blood, men who have grand visions of the future, and friends who have been completely broken by the horrors they lived through shape Robert’s perception of what he’s missed. No longer understanding the place he once called home, he finds it is not as easy as he thought to escape the past and the ghosts that come with it.

The types of Reenactors I'm looking for are grizzled campaign veterans--men that have been beaten down by the brutality and duration of the conflict. The more young men, the better, but of course, I understand they are harder to find. Having the a wide variety of physical types would be exciting to work with than simply having all of one kind. I am also looking for period-appropriate musicians, as there are two band scenes within the film.
This is not Lincoln. This is not Glory. This is going to be a truly unique project.

We will be shooting in a 19th century townhouse on Commonwealth Avenue in Boston. The shoot will be from June 4th-17th, though not sure exactly which days we'll need extras just yet. The script calls for extras for a good chunk of the film, so I may be needing as many extras as I can get for 4 or 5 days of those shoot dates. Ideally, it'd be great to have 50 extras on some of the days, but I think 30 as a minimum is what the film really calls for. If it has to be different sets of men each day, that is something I can work with, but it would be nice to maintain maybe a consistent majority of 20 or so and have others come and go.

Actors and extras will be fed meals every six hours and snacks and water will be available at all times. The extras of the film are not dead bodies or people simply sitting around. It is a post-war celebration, and I am planning the extras to be heavily involved in what's happening around, with featured background actions and some speaking roles (and as I mentioned earlier there are some music sequences). History, and particularly this period, has been a passion of mine, and I would be thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Reenactors as actors and historians.

I'm more than happy to send you more information Let me know if you have any immediate questions or concerns, and I look forward to hearing more from you. If you have any interest or suggestions about where to find more reenactors, email me at [email protected]

Thanks again,
Alex Fofonoff

Alex,

If you want the look, you shouldn't have any problems finding uniforms about. Just be certain you look in their eyes. Out here a recent film was completed and the filmmakers had no trouble finding enough younger guys, even though our population density and demographics are much lower than yours. Younger reenactors (not me) are out there but this can be an expensive hobby for a fellow in his 20's whos also raising a family or in HS. Have you looked at u-tube videos of reeanctments? If you find some recent ones, they will identify the units and you may find the next Brad Pitt right there in front of you.

Thanks for getting on our forum and please continue to lurk after your film is in the can. Do they say that anymore? There are people on this board with information and experience that is vast and of incredible depth.

BW,
SC

PS I honestly like your back story more than your protagonist's background (wealthy General's son?) and personal angst. The 1% are doing fine, IMHO.

Back