A poll for teachers

Which age do you/would you prefer to teach?

• Total voters

carson_reb

Sergeant Major
As a newbie in the teaching profession, I'm having trouble deciding which age I prefer to teach. I suppose that is the advantage of substituting for grades K through 12. I am finding that there are pros and cons to every age group. Honestly, I'd rather have a credential that permits me to teach all the grades; but that isn't how my state works, and I suspect most or all the others, either. I can't obtain a full-time teaching credential as a generalist.

I could complete my education as a special education teacher, and be able to teach all grades. That is something to ponder. In the mean time, though, I'd like to poll all of the teachers, former teachers, and future teachers-to-be on the age group(s) they most prefer teaching, and why.

Do you prefer K-3? Fourth through sixth? Middle school? High school? Or maybe adults?

I am getting experience teaching all of these grades, and I must say, there are benefits to each, and challenges to each. I like teaching adults because they generally have a vested/invested purpose in the classroom. They are also, generally, mature and more on my intellectual level. But they can be pretty disengaging, and their lack of participation leads one to wonder if they are getting the material and if I am delivering it effectively.

I like teaching high schoolers because their intellectual level is generally high and I can explain more complicated concepts to them without concern about whether or not they understand. But I then have to deal with some disinterest, apathy, and a lot of sarcasm, too.

K-3 is a neat age to teach, because they are still eager little sponges and they actually show that they want to learn. They are enthusiastic, genuine, and brutally honest in their responses. But, they are also very energetic. I am generally an off-switch; and most K-3 students are on-switches. I get fatigued just watching them run circles around me.

I'd like to know what you think.

I can answer your Poll for ME only with this:.....My sister teaches a different grade level than I teach....We BOTH tell the other that we could not teach the other's grade level....WHY??.....Because teaching Jr High/Middle School is a gift.....Teaching High School is a gift......teaching K-6 is a gift.....I have MY particular gift, my sister has HER particular gift......A Poll won't show you YOUR gift!!......I wish you the best!! :smile:

I've taught k-2; middle school and adults. All of them are hard. Nothing is ever easy for the teacher. I was full of admiration for the teachers who made it thru without shooting their pupils - or their administrators. My wife taught special education kids (TMH) 7-10 years old and it drained her completely.
I remember one friend of mine who always wanted to 4-6 and quit after one year. Why? The Noise.
Good luck in finding your niche. And I hope you get a job in this market.

I've taught anything from 3rd grade to seniors. My current position, middle school 6th-8th, is probably my favorite. At that age you have a good mix of levels. Some 6th graders are still kiddish in their maturity but at the upper end (8th) grade you can have some good, in-depth conversations. They enjoy the crafts but also ask some very good and thoughtful questions. That age level is just a fun group to work with.

Wait till you can be in a classroom (as in getting your credentials) with teachers from all groups. See where you gravitate. Elementary teachers drive me up the wall after 10 minutes (I admire them, but I could care less whether the kid pees beside the sink or not--to me, you got what you asked for). One of my professors pointed that out.....the first day in our classroom, we had to mingle, visit and then take a seat. Guess what? that room was split down the middle--elementary on one side and secondary on the other--and the folks doing, say 4-7 were in the center, tending to either side.

I am finding (after two years being stuck doing it) that I hate 6th grade with a passion. I'll take 7th grade happily. Sixth graders are so immature in comparison it's shocking. I realize this year's 6th grade will probably never be one of my favorite classes (I was told more than once I'd want to retire when they got here. Yep, if it were possible)....but.......

Most of us are definitely one or the other. I will say 8th grade is still my absolute favorite, but Juniors run a close second, as far as generic groups.

By the way.....in your state, can you get more than one certification, grade-wise? For me, getting that junior high certification (which is actually 4-7) just meant taking one more exam....which is no biggie. Elementary is another can of worms....

But it would increase the range at which you can teach. BTW, I think subject matter is more important in the end than age. At least in our state. WHAT do you want to teach? On a daily basis. Several times a day. You'd better love it. A lot. Otherwise, you'll end up not being a good teacher, because you'll burn out. If you feel the need to share your expertise, you'll fare better.

And the ugly other truth is....teaching "fluffy" stuff means when budgets get cut, you're the first to go. Core subjects are more employable. My English job keeps me safe, because we old biddies--I mean ELA teachers--are hard to find. :smile:

4-6...

4- explorers, native Americans, colonization and revolution, nj history
5- antebellum, civil war and reconstruction
6- ancient history

Knew (not in the Biblical sense) a gal in California who taught a class of exceptional kids -- not special needs kids.

She loved trying to stay ahead of them and (you can tell from chatting, she loved them, like Nate) and they loved her.

This was your "fluffy" job. A few years ago the class was cut from the curriculum.

I don't know why exceptional kids don't deserve the same attention as special needs kids, but the class sounds like a good idea to me. Fortunately, she had taught all her life and retired, but I wonder what happened to all those exceptional kids she didn't get to teach.

My student teaching involved two placements, middle school first, then high school, each for 7 weeks. I was sure I was going to like the high school better, and on top of it, that was in a high school very similar to the one I went to. Boy, was I ever wrong! I strongly disliked the high school kids, who were aloof, bored, and not particularly easy to teach. However, I loved the 7th graders in my other assignment! These were inner city kids, and they were funny, open and mostly willing to try to learn.

When I got my first teaching assignment at the school where I teach now, I taught 9th grade for about ten years, and really liked it. We have a junior high, so our ninth graders are a little "younger" than those in the high school. I liked them so much that I was devastated when I was moved to 8th grade. How could I ever teach those little kids? Turns out, those "little" kids were a perfect fit for me: they are mature enough to tolerate, but goofy enough to go along with my humor, and willing enough to try the things I ask them to do. True, they are hormone messes, but that's tolerable, and actually amusing sometimes. So I'd have to say 8th grade is my favorite, after about 15 years teaching them.

I taught high school for 4 years and then moved into middle school (6-7-8). I hated it at first but then got used to it. Did 17 years at the middle school and then moved up to high school for 6 years and then finished the last 3 years in elementary. Looking back now I will have to say that I enjoyed my middle school years the best. A lot of it is going to be your boss or principal.

By the way.....in your state, can you get more than one certification, grade-wise? For me, getting that junior high certification (which is actually 4-7) just meant taking one more exam....which is no biggie. Elementary is another can of worms....

But it would increase the range at which you can teach. BTW, I think subject matter is more important in the end than age. At least in our state. WHAT do you want to teach? On a daily basis. Several times a day. You'd better love it. A lot. Otherwise, you'll end up not being a good teacher, because you'll burn out. If you feel the need to share your expertise, you'll fare better.

And the ugly other truth is....teaching "fluffy" stuff means when budgets get cut, you're the first to go. Core subjects are more employable. My English job keeps me safe, because we old biddies--I mean ELA teachers--are hard to find. :smile:

Yes, I can add endorsements onto my teaching license. That, of course, requires additional coursework and such, but I think a lot of education can be obtained through the various school districts. I just don't like the idea of having to get either one or the other at first. I find it very limiting... Especially if the market is poor.

I suppose it is really a pet-peeve, and one I'll just have to accept and get over. I don't like being pigeon-holed or told I have to be a hexagon peg that fits into a hexagon hole. I like a flexible education where I could go in either direction. Unfortunately, I have found that it is generally not the case with K-12 education. You either start out with an elementary credential and add secondary endorsement, or vice-versa.

Plus, I want to get a master's degree along with the credential, and I wish the degree didn't have to be either an elementary or secondary education major. That's pretty much the way it is.

That's the real reason why I am torn. To get a master's degree with the teaching credential, I have to choose from an MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) in Elementary Education, or an MAT in Secondary Education. ...Or, I can obtain licensure by pursuing a Master of Arts in Special Ed; and that degree would qualify me to teach special ed to K-12.

I actually know the subject(s) that I want to teach and enjoy teaching: ESL/TESOL, English Comp/Writing, Language Arts, Art, and Social Studies (i.e., government, history). I'm finding that I have a passion for ESL/TESOL, and a relative strength in delivering this material to adults. So, I may consider an MA in Special Ed with specialization in reading/literacy.

I love art, and being an artist myself, I find great joy in watching students make art. ...But, art is one of those "fluffy" subjects; and I'd want to play things smart to start out with. Then, perhaps later on, I could get my own art classroom after I'm established.

What subject do you want to teach? Also you can't really get a feel for teaching by subbing. I would say make your mind up on what you want to teach first and go from there.

Yup. Done that. I like ESL/TESOL. That's why I'm trying to decide whether to pursue my initial license in elementary or secondary education.

I beg to differ about subbing. I've had the opportunity to sub for several different grades in the past couple of months: K-4, 9-12. This experience is helping me to note the pros and cons of teaching the different grades. It is helping me to see where my strengths and weaknesses are as a teacher with the different age groups.

Now, if by subbing you mean just sitting down, putting a movie on, and babysitting a class, then, yes, that's no way to get a feel for teaching in a classroom. But that isn't what I do in the schools I'm subbing for. They actually want subs who can try to follow the lesson plan set out by the regular teacher. This helps the students stay on task and on track with the curriculum.

Yesterday, for example, I subbed for a high school world history class. I followed the plan set out by the teacher, and I actually engaged the students in a fruitful discussion of the in-class assignment. I got them thinking critically on some key issues, and we talked about it.

That, in my opinion, is substitute teaching. It is filling in for the teacher, and at least trying to teach. I don't believe in subbing to babysit and ensure there is an adult in the classroom when the teacher is absent. I actually want to try and teach.

I can answer your Poll for ME only with this:.....My sister teaches a different grade level than I teach....We BOTH tell the other that we could not teach the other's grade level....WHY??.....Because teaching Jr High/Middle School is a gift.....Teaching High School is a gift......teaching K-6 is a gift.....I have MY particular gift, my sister has HER particular gift......A Poll won't show you YOUR gift!!......I wish you the best!! :smile:

I've already found the gift. It is teaching ESL/TESOL. Now, in order to move forward to teach K-12 full-time, I've got to enroll in a preparation program, and I'm going to have to choose either elementary or secondary ed at first. ...Or special ed. I'm leaning toward special ed with specialization in reading/literacy.

Yup. Done that. I like ESL/TESOL. That's why I'm trying to decide whether to pursue my initial license in elementary or secondary education.

I beg to differ about subbing. I've had the opportunity to sub for several different grades in the past couple of months: K-4, 9-12. This experience is helping me to note the pros and cons of teaching the different grades. It is helping me to see where my strengths and weaknesses are as a teacher with the different age groups.

Now, if by subbing you mean just sitting down, putting a movie on, and babysitting a class, then, yes, that's no way to get a feel for teaching in a classroom. But that isn't what I do in the schools I'm subbing for. They actually want subs who can try to follow the lesson plan set out by the regular teacher. This helps the students stay on task and on track with the curriculum.

Yesterday, for example, I subbed for a high school world history class. I followed the plan set out by the teacher, and I actually engaged the students in a fruitful discussion of the in-class assignment. I got them thinking critically on some key issues, and we talked about it.

That, in my opinion, is substitute teaching. It is filling in for the teacher, and at least trying to teach. I don't believe in subbing to babysit and ensure there is an adult in the classroom when the teacher is absent. I actually want to try and teach.

Well, that's nice of you. I love it when someone follows what I leave for them. One caveat. You're not the teacher. I have had several well-meaning subs come in and , er, engage the students in fruitful discussion. The next day the kids tell me what the sub told them.....OMG! Then I have to wipe THAT out and teach them what they're supposed to learn.

That sounds mean, but you'll understand when you have your own classroom. Make them think and help them complete the assignments, yes--but don't teach unless you know the teacher well and know EXACTLY what the state curriculum says.

I understand what you're saying. I loved subbing in Spanish class. If I could write and speak Spanish better than "Mas Margaritas!" I'd teach it. I never had so much fun. Plus, it's required--but not tested! The kids seemed to enjoy the class--and as I told someone yesterday, I knew just enough to make them work. :smile:

Did I mention I hated subbing for math? Kill me, please.

I only daily subbed for about a month and hated hated hated it! Some of our retired teachers sometimes sub in our school-- you couldn't pay me enough to do that!

Like Nate said, the best subs are the ones that follow my plans and don't try to put their own spin on what they think I mean by the assignment I give the kids. I just need someone reliable who has good classroom management skills and isn't texting when they should be watching what the kids are up to. I don't mind if they let the kids go to the lav throughout the whole period (I don't, only at the very beginning or very end, unless it's an emergency), or let the kids work together when I give them a choice for that or working solo. But I do mind when I have to reteach or unteach something a sub buggered up because he or she thought they knew the right way to teach it. When a sub gets their own classes, they can do what they want.

Secretly, I like when I get a really strict sub or a very unpredictable sub, because the kids are so glad to see me the next day. It's not often that you hear them say they missed you and are glad you're back. :smile:

I only daily subbed for about a month and hated hated hated it! Some of our retired teachers sometimes sub in our school-- you couldn't pay me enough to do that!

Like Nate said, the best subs are the ones that follow my plans and don't try to put their own spin on what they think I mean by the assignment I give the kids. I just need someone reliable who has good classroom management skills and isn't texting when they should be watching what the kids are up to. I don't mind if they let the kids go to the lav throughout the whole period (I don't, only at the very beginning or very end, unless it's an emergency), or let the kids work together when I give them a choice for that or working solo. But I do mind when I have to research or us teach something a sub buggered up because he or she thought they knew the right way to teach it. When a sub gets their own classes, they can do what they want.

Secretly, I like when I get a really strict sub or a very unpredictable sub, because the kids are so glad to see me the next day. It's not often that you hear them say they missed you and are glad you're back. :smile:

Yeah, when they run down the hall and hug you while yelling, "Thank God you're back!" that means it was rough. :smile:

You teachers will get a laugh.....one of our subs who I have wondered about subbed next door yesterday. She walked up to me and another teacher after school and said, "Wow, I've learned with the sixth grade I do better if I don't sit behind the desk." Well. Duh. :nah disagree: Now I know......

Running around like a whirling dervish seems to work for me. :smile:

Knew (not in the Biblical sense) a gal in California who taught a class of exceptional kids -- not special needs kids.

She loved trying to stay ahead of them and (you can tell from chatting, she loved them, like Nate) and they loved her.

This was your "fluffy" job. A few years ago the class was cut from the curriculum.

I don't know why exceptional kids don't deserve the same attention as special needs kids, but the class sounds like a good idea to me. Fortunately, she had taught all her life and retired, but I wonder what happened to all those exceptional kids she didn't get to teach.

Susie, right? I got some killer ideas from her. The thing is, all kids are exceptional. The more you plan that way, the easier it is to teach them all.

Back