PODCAST A Podcast? Sure, that's a good idea!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
Silver Patron

If I was to do a podcast, one of the features of the podcast would be an interview with an interesting person in the Civil War community.

If I move forward with this idea, who would you like me to contact and attempt to do a podcast with?
Ed Bearss, Scott Mingus, Sr., David L. Shultz, @Eric Wittenberg , D. Scott Hartwig, Brooks Simpson and John Hennessy - to name a few I would love to hear from.

NH Civil War Gal

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
One of our mods @E_just_E did an article for Gettysburg Magazine, he could be on the podcast too. What about David Powell? Janet Croon, author of "The War Outside My Window." I believe @Eric Wittenberg helped her with the cavalry details because she thanks him in the acknowledgements. And I totally second having Eric on of course, only someone mentioned him before I could. I second Matt Atkinson, he is a very good speaker.

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
In addition to those mentioned above, here are a few of my suggestions @civilwartalk

Eric Campbell - Chief for the Interpretation of the Cedar Creek and Belle Grove National Historical Park

Gordon Rhea - on anything he'd like to talk about

Scott Patchan - on pretty much anything in the Shenandoah Valley or anything else would be great.

Brandon Beck - published Cullen Battle's memoirs which could be an interesting topic. Just the story about how he found the memoirs at the Alabama Archives is fascinating. He has also written a book on Streight's Raid which includes his research on Emma Sansom/Forrest's encounter at Gadsden AL. I just heard him speak last night and it was great.

Stephen Recker - rare images of Antietam and the photographers who took them. He's a very engaging speaker.

Dennis Rasbach - Author of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and the Petersburg Campaign. The whole story of how he drew conclusions in his research is interesting.

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
Silver Patron
I would also love to see Doris Kearns Goodwin, Stephen Sears and Gordon Rhea interviewed. If you wanted to do a series on the different facets of the war, our Eric would be the best bet on Cavalry operations; there are several artillery gurus, Dave Shultz among them; Robert M. Browning, Jr. on the blockade; Steven Woodworth on the western theater; Eric Foner on Reconstruction; our own @DaveBrt on the railroads; David Porter wrote Impending Crisis the best book on the causes of the war but I don't know if he's still available; I am sorry to say I don't know who would be a good interview on women in the Civil War. That would make a good outline for a series of podcasts on the different facets of the war.

Legion Para

Captain
Retired Moderator
While some great suggestions have been made, I want to add one more to the list.

http://virginiahistoryseries.org/vhs2_web_site_06272013_147.htm

Historical Hall of Fame: Robert K. Krick (b. 1943) is a book author, filmographer, and expert on battles of the American Civil War in Virginia.

Virginia History Series
Robert K. Krick was born in California, and has been responsible for the preservation of several battlefields in Virginia for over 30 years. He is the author of more than a dozen books and over one hundred published articles. His Stonewall Jackson at Cedar Mountain won the Douglas Southall Freeman Award for Best Book in Southern History and the 1991 Harwell Book Award. As an author/consultant, he has collaborated on several civil war documentary films.
Krick was chief historian of Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania National Military Park for 30 years before his retirement in 2011. Krick began his
National Park Service career at Fort McHenry in Baltimore, and then supervised Fort Necessity in Pennsylvania before coming to Fredericksburg.
Widely regarded as the top historian in modern times on the Army of Northern Virginia and the foremost authority on Chancellorsville, Krick is also a popular lecturer and battlefield tour guide.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)