Golden Thread A photo of your favorite Civil War treasure or display

View attachment 351822

I just had and idea. Since many are spending more time at home. Why not take a photo of your favorite Civil War treasure or display. Here is mine. Now show us yours. Have a wonderful day.
Very nice! Love the artillery shells

FBA5FEAE-117D-430F-820D-06DD546B9EA0.jpeg

Here are a few pictures of my Civil War relic collection. All of these relics are from the Gettysburg battlefield and documented. Some were photographed and appeared in Mike O’Donnels book on Gettysburg relics and souvenirs. My favorite piece is the Union bullseye canteen my Mom found in an antique store with a museum tag when I was about ten years old. I love dog relics as “ they were there.”
DF7412E7-C0B3-4BF0-83F1-A454518FE56A.jpeg
7EE4A7BF-B653-4DCC-9F2F-D8D874F12EBF.jpeg

As long as you've known this gun, has it always been broken?
Yes, it was in the condition shown when I received it. It was wired together just to keep the pieces from becoming separated, no real attempt to repair it. It’s seen a lot of use, note the condition of the hammer. It’s struck a lot of percussion caps. No idea how it got so damaged.

The display cabinet is designed for golf balls . If I would turn the case upside down you would be able to see the round cutouts for a golf ball to sit on. The displays come in different sizes. I also have one for my fuse display. I found the bullet one at a thrift store for $5 dollars. Shop around on ebay you can find a deal depending on the size and color wood you would like.

View attachment 351859
Very nice fuse collection!

Here are a few pictures of my Civil War relic collection. All of these relics are from the Gettysburg battlefield and documented. Some were photographed and appeared in Mike O’Donnels book on Gettysburg relics and souvenirs. My favorite piece is the Union bullseye canteen my Mom found in an antique store with a museum tag when I was about ten years old. I love dog relics as “ they were there.”View attachment 352430View attachment 352431
Extremely nice displayed collection!! VERY NICE...

One of my favorite groupings is this Boston Navy Yard marked leather accoutrement set. I wanted a complete enlisted men's leather set all with the same Naval Yard markings. It took me years to piece it together, but finally got it done. Shown here is an original model 1841 "hook" belt that is Boston marked with an 1861 date, the last year of production for the hook belt. Also a Boston marked Navy cutlass frog (cutlass is put up right now), a Boston marked pistol frog, a Boston marked fuse box, and a Boston marked pistol cartridge box, still intact with no post war alterations, with the closure tab, finial, inner flap and original tins intact. I also have a complete model 1862 belt set with rifle cartridge box and cap box. Maybe I will post that later.
thumbnail_20200325_223114.jpg
thumbnail_20200325_223206.jpg
thumbnail_20200325_223223.jpg

One of my favorite groupings is this Boston Navy Yard marked leather accoutrement set. I wanted a complete enlisted men's leather set all with the same Naval Yard markings. It took me years to piece it together, but finally got it done. Shown here is an original model 1841 "hook" belt that is Boston marked with an 1861 date, the last year of production for the hook belt. Also a Boston marked Navy cutlass frog (cutlass is put up right now), a Boston marked pistol frog, a Boston marked fuse box, and a Boston marked pistol cartridge box, still intact with no post war alterations, with the closure tab, finial, inner flap and original tins intact. I also have a complete model 1862 belt set with rifle cartridge box and cap box. Maybe I will post that later.View attachment 352465View attachment 352466View attachment 352467
Great display!

One of my favorite groupings is this Boston Navy Yard marked leather accoutrement set. I wanted a complete enlisted men's leather set all with the same Naval Yard markings. It took me years to piece it together, but finally got it done.
Nice. You don't see many naval displays in your typical Civil War museum.

Antique Shop

I can't even begin to compete but here are some of mine. The document in the center is an original bill of sale for a slave named Jacob from 1848. I no longer have the wicker wheelchair but it was reported to have come from a Civil War hospital. The rifle is an original 1858 Tower marked Enfield. And the cross stitch was made by my mother and won several awards at State fairs. View attachment 352288View attachment 352289View attachment 352290View attachment 352291
What do you mean cant compete, these are great.

Back