Golden Thread A photo of your favorite Civil War treasure or display

My hand cannon.

sharps pistol low res.jpg

Of course it's a reproduction. Who could afford an original Sharps drop-block pistol?

("Underground Railroad" agents would carry pistols and rifles to protect their charges and themselves against slave catchers. In the free states that only might be necessary in the rural areas between cities beyond local law enforcement. Sharps, Colt, Remington, Volcanic etc. etc. all advertised models for civilian purchase, this one a single shot breech loader employing paper cartridges, as with Sharps' rifles.)

Last edited:
I will do so, I have a series of photos of this jacket on a mannequin, keep in mind that this is most likely a commutation jacket, according to Les Jensen. The interior is actually linen, the exterior is wool that was originally a medium gray. Has all federal eagle buttons and fairly high collar, it came out of Georgia with a cotton haversack, but no guarantee that it is a Georgia Jacket.
Thanks, I'd love to see them whether from Georgia or not. I always argue with myself over fabric choice when I have something made. Other than examples of Columbus Depot jackets there's so few examples of original stuff to look at that came from Georgia and none that I know of of early state issue stuff other than period photos.

What does that mean? Educate please!
Before the Southern Depot System was able to get into production, uniforms had to be procured, thus the commutation system where individuals were paid to procure their own uniforms. Sometimes this was done on a company or even regimental level, where the materials were procured and tailors paid to manufacture the goods.

I can't even begin to compete but here are some of mine. The document in the center is an original bill of sale for a slave named Jacob from 1848. I no longer have the wicker wheelchair but it was reported to have come from a Civil War hospital. The rifle is an original 1858 Tower marked Enfield. And the cross stitch was made by my mother and won several awards at State fairs. View attachment 352288View attachment 352289View attachment 352290View attachment 352291
What is railroad stamp on the lantern. RR collectables are my second passion.

I love this discussion. I tell folks I’m not a collector, I’m a “gatherer”. One of my favorites is a family pass down. I believe it’s a model 1842 Springfield 69 caliber musket. It’s smooth bore and the barrel is kinda thin at the muzzle. It’s in rough shape, I was told it was played with as a “toy gun” for years. None the less it is a family treasure. I have the bayonet for it and the powder flask. I also have a Spencer and a Sharps, both in much better shape, but old Betsy is my favorite. I’ll try to post some pictures. P.S.its got US markings but I can assure you my GGGP was a Reb.

3BF282FD-A435-4F67-B014-1DCE1926770E.jpeg

0C656F8D-D0F3-4B58-A068-3CC7409F06A2.jpeg

4BEA2CBC-A147-49D9-BA33-27F49FBA7279.jpeg

6DD6AAA1-9ECC-476D-AC62-7461D6DBAC40.jpeg

0ECBF833-543F-46E5-82F5-79AF44300419.jpeg

D4DB344D-16E8-40E6-84CC-EDFAFCC8985E.jpeg

I need help identifying another pass down. It had no identifying marks that I can find and no one in the family knows it’s origin. The stock is broken and wired together but it appears It has all the parts. I assume it’s CW vintage or older. Any input would be most appreciated.

View attachment 352396

View attachment 352397

View attachment 352398

View attachment 352399

View attachment 352400

View attachment 352401

View attachment 352403

As long as you've known this gun, has it always been broken?

Back