A Photo Montage Of Slight Mysteries. Or. Goodness, Why?

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
It's a habit, browsing formats for likely photographs of era content- you just do no know what's out there! Pretty sure we have not scratched the surface regardless of howeveritis appearance has it seem. " New Discovery! " There's always one, although these are not largely Civil War.

Not always crazy about the ease with which this whole ' wired ' thing makes it possible to drop in on each other- best feature being kind of forum plus being able to share the finds, digging around in each other's attics, as it were.

Frequently see photos frustratingly short of clewsssss, ( yes, I know it's spelled incorrectly, just a joke! ), what IS that or WHY is that and what does that SAY and why are they....? Ebay, entirely this time. No idea if the auctions are still there.

what lincoln funny.jpg
lincolm resembles2.JPG

Best one- somewhere on this porch or perhaps in a tree is someone resembling Lincoln. It's not actually the kind of mystery I'm referring to, just too wonderful not to include.

fam1.jpg

Yes, it may not bother someone else but that sign is going to make me a little crazy- what does it say?? This looks New England-y, pre-war by a few years?

what boy lolloip.JPG

OK, sue me, he's included because he's hysterical, too, how earnest! IS that a lollipop?

what boy holding.JPG

Another ' What is he holding? ' Is an apple too obvious, and why make a small boy hold an apple for a photograph?

what cat story.JPG

Best friends? How did anyone convince a cat to sit for a photograph? The story behind this, which we will never know, is probably wonderful- and am open to guesses.

what chain woman.JPG

DID women wear watch fobs, please? Is it some other type of embellishment to a wardrobe, a feminine piece of jewelry? Looks very ' watch and fob ', right? Does the addition of a handkerchief indicate she is a widow/

what couple holding.JPG

????? Marriage license is the only thing which comes to mind but why would they have their wedding photograph taken with the license open across their laps? Just the photographer's creative whim, perhaps? Is it something else?

what men in a row.jpg

I was thinking something ' statesmen ' at first but boy, they seem to look a lot a like- and maybe genetically predisposed to stern thought? Related, right?

what men school.jpg

These have to be diplomas- college diplomas- so maybe not a mystery unless there would be some other document held in this kind of esteem.

what props soldier.jpg

I don't know. Something odd about the whole photo but I'm mostly baffled by whatever it is placed on the little table? The photographer used a stand but that was very usual- it does seem to be directly beneath this soldier's left foot.

what which.jpg

This pontoon photo was just as is- and no description. It did not seem to be one of those silly things we see a lot of now, where LoC photos are being copied and sold. The bridges look at first like a few we're familiar with but looking again- much shorter.

Out of time ( again. ), have quite a few in this ' What? ' category, which is kind of fun! These were from the ' Ebay ' file, always toughest because there's no hope of tracking them down. :nerd:

????? Marriage license is the only thing which comes to mind but why would they have their wedding photograph taken with the license open across their laps? Just the photographer's creative whim, perhaps? Is it something else?
They look thrilled. And related. :O o:

Related, right?
They all have a Sherman-like look to them.

Something odd about the whole photo but I'm mostly baffled by whatever it is placed on the little table?
That's alcohol. Everyone knows alcohol and guns go together!

In the 6th one... Women did wear watches like that, so I think you're right, that could be a watch and fob.

In the 2nd one... I can't do it on this computer, but is there anyone who could turn that sign around, so it's a mirror image? Might help us try to read it. I agree that it's pre-war by quite a few years, with the tight sleeves on everybody and the long low pointed waists on the women.

In the 4th one... I'm voting he's holding a rubber ball. https://books.google.com/books?id=eyFAAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA151
"And father gave me money enough to buy a new India-rubber ball..." Saw elsewhere one was priced at 75 cents, not cheap, but something to be proud enough to be photographed with.

That 'ghost child' is pretty strange, all right! :cold: I thought that sign said Lincoln Union backwards? Don't think Lincoln is in there, though... The soldier...well, my money is on he's dead. The sword - his hand is upside down! I think a living guy might protest some about holding that pose... The guy with the cat - I'm pretty sure kitty was fine sitting there with her human until the flash went off! (Bet he didn't see her again for a month...)

In the 6th one... Women did wear watches like that, so I think you're right, that could be a watch and fob.

In the 2nd one... I can't do it on this computer, but is there anyone who could turn that sign around, so it's a mirror image? Might help us try to read it. I agree that it's pre-war by quite a few years, with the tight sleeves on everybody and the long low pointed waists on the women.

In the 4th one... I'm voting he's holding a rubber ball. https://books.google.com/books?id=eyFAAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA151
"And father gave me money enough to buy a new India-rubber ball..." Saw elsewhere one was priced at 75 cents, not cheap, but something to be proud enough to be photographed with.

AH! Thank you! Indian rubber balls were not the .99 common events they are now, had forgotten that! Toys were very valued- well they still were when I was a kid and hope that does not come across as snarky about ' today '. There are just so many of them, seemingly. This will date me- I do not know what most of them do. Balls and things which made balls go, made up a huge portion of our childhood.

Did not know women wore watches, and in the same manner as men- brand, new information, thank you! Love this kind of thing, one more thing to keep an eye peeled for, My grgrandmother always had hers on a chain, as a very longgggg necklace- sometimes she'd tuck it between two dress buttons or in a front pocket if one was there so I assumed it was some women's ' thing ' in lieu of men's vest pocket, etc. Now I'm guessing it was probably just a personal piece of jewelry she liked and wore- which got in the way.

And ah HA, slowly and carefully, James, CWT is working its magic- thanks to you and few others. I doubt, hugely, the day will arrive I'll set myself up as a Big Pants who knows this stuff in depth but some basics have sure sunk in on clothing and dates. One thing I seem to see which is amazing, is no matter the ' class ', women just, plain liked to stay with current fashion, gee whiz.

That 'ghost child' is pretty strange, all right! :cold: I thought that sign said Lincoln Union backwards? Don't think Lincoln is in there, though... The soldier...well, my money is on he's dead. The sword - his hand is upside down! I think a living guy might protest some about holding that pose... The guy with the cat - I'm pretty sure kitty was fine sitting there with her human until the flash went off! (Bet he didn't see her again for a month...)

OH rats! Post mortem, huh? Since he was upright and seemed to be boasting full arms, it didn't occur to me- I have a ' thing ' about not posting post mortem photos on the grounds these were intended for families during a hugely personal time in their lives. We do not get to do many things all alone, dying is one of them. Collecting post mortem photos, for instance, just seems so intrusive- there's so very much grief and loss for a family all wrapped around one of those, seems none of our business, you know?

Dpuble rats. Wonder if he'd mind a little longer, as an example of what to look for.

So, pre-war, but with ' Lincoln ' on the sign, interesting! Of course, ' Lincoln ' wasn't an uncommon name, either. There are quite a few ' Lincolns ' around this area albeit they are actually distant relatives of THE Lincoln, if they but knew.

Even more alluring is the little girl in the lower right corner.View attachment 118265

Yes, I wasn't sure whether or not to mention her? I mean, if she'd been part of the family group wouldn't she have been posed with them? Maybe not- looks very young and perhaps someone gave up all attempts to have her stand still. She could have been allowed to orbit the group like any self respecting, ants in the pants toddler, then been caught in the final photograph. Still. That's my best guess- and only guess because what a creepy corner without that explanation.

Yes, I wasn't sure whether or not to mention her? I mean, if she'd been part of the family group wouldn't she have been posed with them? Maybe not- looks very young and perhaps someone gave up all attempts to have her stand still. She could have been allowed to orbit the group like any self respecting, ants in the pants toddler, then been caught in the final photograph. Still. That's my best guess- and only guess because what a creepy corner without that explanation.
The girl in white in front isn't standing still very well either. I wonder if they just gave up on the kids and hoped for the best. Or maybe the dark-dress girl wasn't part of the group and managed to sneak in.

On the original wedding photo in the first post, look at the man's hand that's closest to the edge of the picture. What is that coppery-tinted thing? Is it really in the photo or just a glitch? If it's really in the photo, what is it? The tinter must have noticed it enough to paint it copper. Or is the apparent tinting just a glitch and it's really black and white? It looks like one of those metal wristwatch bands not actually on the wrist, but that's way too modern.

OH rats! Post mortem, huh? Since he was upright and seemed to be boasting full arms, it didn't occur to me- I have a ' thing ' about not posting post mortem photos on the grounds these were intended for families during a hugely personal time in their lives. We do not get to do many things all alone, dying is one of them. Collecting post mortem photos, for instance, just seems so intrusive- there's so very much grief and loss for a family all wrapped around one of those, seems none of our business, you know?

Dpuble rats. Wonder if he'd mind a little longer, as an example of what to look for.

So, pre-war, but with ' Lincoln ' on the sign, interesting! Of course, ' Lincoln ' wasn't an uncommon name, either. There are quite a few ' Lincolns ' around this area albeit they are actually distant relatives of THE Lincoln, if they but knew.

Sure know what you mean. Just recently, over on the Forrest forum, we appear to have discovered the only known photo of one of Forrest's brothers - dead! I don't know what you do when the only known photo of somebody is that one.

I think there were 'Lincoln Unions' and clubs around the country after his assassination. I don't know for sure, or for how long they lasted, but maybe somebody can ascertain that. Think that's what you've got there!

OH! So a very terrifying row of gentlemen indeed. :angel:

Only thought about it as we went to my husband's law school reunion last spring and they had photos taken with their derbies and and canes, to celebrate a day during their last year of law school when they each received a derby hat and had a group photo. Just made me think of a group that might have been wearing hats. Some law schools, like Tulane, were closed during the Civil War.

However, I looked and here's a college class from 1865 at University of Pennsylvania. Notice the top hats.

resolver.jpeg

http://hdl.library.upenn.edu/1017/d/archives/20050214002

Also, the woman with the watch chain? Kate Stone talks about her unmarried uncle going off to war and leaving her all his jewelry and how she wore one piece as a bracelet. Perhaps the woman is honoring or mourning a male relative who is off serving? That might be the significance of the handkerchief.

Last edited:
Back