A Personal Point of View About Civil War Causes

I have always believed that the war was mainly a result of the seeds of extreme partisanship,lack of respect and refusal to compromise.To blame the justifying cause ie: slavery,states rights,territorial expansion, tariffs,etc.misses the point. Agitation and extremism became more and more commonplace and became fertile ground for revolution.
One can track these issues through the number of compromises attempted by the Congress's of the 1830s,40s and early 1850s, coming to a crescendo with the savage beating of Senator Edwin Sumner by Preston Brookes on the Senate floor,while armed parisan Senate members prevented collegues from coming to his aid.
Edited.
If we think that we have "progressed" beyond the point of discussion about that type of insidious partisanship and hate,time will most assuredly tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

wbull1

Sergeant
Welcome. I believe John C. Calhoun's speech illustrates your point

The “positive good” speech of February 6, 1837,

However sound the great body of the non-slaveholding States are at present, in the course of a few years they will be succeeded by those who will have been taught to hate the people and institutions of nearly one half of the Union, with a hatred more deadly than one hostile nation ever entertained toward another.

But let me not be understood as admitting, even by implication, that the existing relations between the two races in the slaveholding States is an evil:–far otherwise; I hold it to be a good, as it has thus far proved itself to be to both, and will continue to prove so if not disturbed by the fell spirit of abolition. I appeal to facts. Never before has the black race of Central Africa, from the dawn of history to the present day, attained a condition so civilized and so improved, not only physically, but morally and intellectually.

Demonizing those with an opposing point of view and claiming unique virtues for those who agree with you is absolutely polarizing.

Jimklag

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I have always believed that the war was mainly a result of the seeds of extreme partisanship,lack of respect and refusal to compromise.To blame the justifying cause ie: slavery,states rights,territorial expansion, tariffs,etc.misses the point. Agitation and extremism became more and more commonplace and became fertile ground for revolution.
One can track these issues through the number of compromises attempted by the Congress's of the 1830s,40s and early 1850s, coming to a crescendo with the savage beating of Senator Edwin Sumner by Preston Brookes on the Senate floor,while armed parisan Senate members prevented collegues from coming to his aid.
Edited.
If we think that we have "progressed" beyond the point of discussion about that type of insidious partisanship and hate,time will most assuredly tell.
Welcome from the Railroads and Steam Locomotives forum.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
welcome2.jpg

And, from our Four-footed Friends of the Civil War....
t168517_65.gif

___________________________________​

"I have always believed that the war was mainly a result of the seeds of extreme partisanship,lack of respect and refusal to compromise."

Agreed. But, that's only a partial, and far too simplistic explanation. Those toxic attitudes did not crop up out of nothingness. What was (were) the issue(s) that inspired them? There are immediate causes, proximate causes, ultimate causes, etc: your supposition is none of those.

I would argue there is only one root cause, which, if removed from the equation, there would have been no "lack of respect and refusal to compromise," no secession, no Civil War.

Last edited:
Edited.
1) Certain states began to secede after Lincoln was elected. Why did they secede then, and not before?

2) Exactly what compromises were there to make that had not been made? That could not have been made going forward?

- Alan

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)