A peek into ACW site tourism feelings: Readers share views on PROPOSED Civil War center in Fayetteville NC

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
1559478426449.png

Last week, we asked readers to share their views on whether Fayetteville should build a Civil War & Reconstruction History Center. More than 200 people responded.

Here is a sampling of opinions from our readers. Thank you to everyone who weighed in.

If you’d still like to contribute to the discussion, send us a letter to the editor: [email protected].

[THIS WEEK’S QUESTION: Complete this sentence: Fayetteville and Cumberland County need ________.] Share your comments online at bit.ly/fayopinion, see the form at below this article or email eletters@fayobserver. com, subject line: Observer forum. We’ll publish a selection of responses next Sunday.
Rest of Article:https://www.fayobserver.com/news/20190601/observer-forum-readers-share-views-on-civil-war-center

I work as a consultant with Cumberland County schools. My impression is that Fayetteville’s black residents are undecided about the project. As the local paper said, "They question government support for the Civil War complex while their neighborhoods lag economically and some just outside the city are prevented from being annexed into the city to obtain basic amenities like sewer service." If you visit the area you can certainly understand this.

The History Center is committed to focusing on facts and telling the story fairly and completely. Hopefully it will create opportunities for empathy. That would be wonderful.

I remember returning from a scouting excursion from across the river during the summer of '98. Full pack and gear about midnight, where the only citizens were the black men gathered at the Bus Terminal, looking to hustle. (I was approached, simply said upon halt, Let me pass, and was let go.) I later took refuge on the steps of the Market Place Square, and sat for a canteen break. It had been a four-day excursion, and very hot that night. (A homeless vagabond won a million dollar monopoly ticket from McDonald's that week-end.) I made it back a couple of hours later, nearer 3 a. m. It got to be a very dangerous area at night.

Lubliner.

Back