a pair of wartime bridge abutments from O&A RR, Pope's Head Creek

9th VA Cav

Cadet
Recently, I paid a visit to my aunt's home near Clifton, Virginia to celebrate her birthday - along with a good number of her friends and family. A point of interest is that the property includes two wartime bridge spans - now, simply a pair of stone abutments - over Pope's Head Creek near Clifton, Virginia. The Orange and Alexandria Railroad has since been realigned with a new double track configuration, which can be seen in the aerial photos I snagged from Bing maps imagery online. I am going to make a point to revisit their home this summer, and learn more about the history of the site.

This now makes a second "family-owned" CW site that I need to dig into and discover!

Adam

Attachments

• chapel road site 5.jpg
    chapel road site 5.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 599
bridge abutments

Here is another view of the old O&A RR raised bed and stone abutments on the property.

Adam

Attachments

• chapel road site 6.jpg
    chapel road site 6.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 463
9th VA Cav, sir;

It has been a very long time since you have posted -- glad to see you back.

I have driven and ridden my horse in the area, especially around that area in Clifton. Even during "Clifton Days."

Thanks for sharing these priceless photographs!

Look for artifacts while there as the ground at times offers them due to weather and ground changes.

Respectfully submitted,
M. E. Wolf

9th VA Cav, sir;

It has been a very long time since you have posted -- glad to see you back.

I have driven and ridden my horse in the area, especially around that area in Clifton. Even during "Clifton Days."

Thanks for sharing these priceless photographs!

Look for artifacts while there as the ground at times offers them due to weather and ground changes.

Respectfully submitted,
M. E. Wolf

Mr Wolf -

Thanks for noticing this thread, General! I am really astounded at my lack of effort in delving into the research of this historic property site - I must chalk it up to being a typically overburdened 4th grade teacher. As far as artifacts and examples of wartime items are concerned; my uncle has plenty of "found objects" - mostly railroad-related - that he displays or gathers. Of interest to me was inspecting several sections of track that apparently escaped the "first-gen" steel recyclers of Virginia! As you are certainly aware, the O&A RR had different gauge and cross section track, since during the pre-war era uniformity to a single pattern was not yet established.

Similarly, track pins and clamps have been found as well - indeed, whenever a strong rain or period of flooding occurs, artifacts might occasionally wash up and reveal themselves! (FWIW, as I walked up the long driveway towards the house, I found a dirty artifact right away just because I stepped on it leaving my parked car - somebody's cellphone! It must have washed up from Pope's Head Creek! No one at the house had any idea whose it was!) I certainly look forward to spending quality time this summer and in the future as I investigate this site with my relatives. They have many visitors, both welcomed and not, who come to explore the unique site and my relatives have gathered quite a good bit of notes and resources about the location.

I was informed that I will be "forced" to take some "found items" back with me to my classroom, the next time I visit! My aunt & uncle know that I love teaching Virginia history in 4th grade! Won't it be powerful for my students to be able to investigate locally-found Civil War era railroad tools, track, and many other artifacts - I really look forward to next year's class being quite exciting!

9th VA CAV, sir;

I am sure the little ones will enjoy 'show and tell.'

Paul McCray - Northern Virginia Park Authority isn't that far away from Pope's Head Road and Ox Road. He has a wealthy range of information on historical railroads.

As far as the cell phone goes -- go to any of the cell phone stores and see if they can identify it and go from there. Turn it in. There could be information on the phone that the past owner may want and or, if it was part of a crime--police might like what it has in it. Or, just turn it into the police department. (Fairfax County, PD). (703)691-2233 [Non-Emergency #] Mason District on Columbia Pike where General Early camped at Mason Hill --may be the closest Fairfax County P.D. station.

Should ask your students if they have any family artifacts to 'show and tell.'

If memory serves me correctly, Manassas Gap Railroad "Day" is June 8th? -- Supposed to be held in Manassas, VA.

The old rails were like a tear drop upside-down. "T" rails came in mid-ACW. And, you are correct, there were no 'set standards,' as each railroad had their own gauges. Look at the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad as well as the O&A R.R. Lee caused a link up between the two roads--as to get the locomotives and rolling stock out before it was occupied.

General Herman Haupt then used Alexandria, Virginia and the 'shops' there as a hub for the Military Railroad.

ALEXANDRIA, VA., August 28, 1862-3.30 p.m.
Major-General HALLECK:
Bridge across Pohick, 1 mile west of Burke's Station and 14 from Alexandria, destroyed. Reconnoitering party could proceed no farther. Fireman, who was taken prisoner by the rebels and escaped, says that Bull Run Bridge was set on fire yesterday afternoon. He saw it on fire as he was making off through the bushes from Bull Run and soon after heard it fall. It is clear, therefore, that the Army of Virginia can receive no more supplies by rail at present, and must flank the enemy by a movement to the east, cut its way through, or be lost.
H. HAUPT.
-----
ALEXANDRIA, September 3, 1862--9.45 a.m.
President LINCOLN:
Since the abandonment of Fairfax we are cut off from all sources of information. We are not operating any portion of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad, but are preparing to send supplies by the Loudoun and Hampshire Railroad. Everything quiet about Alexandria. No firing heard. I would send out an engine if there was prospect of obtaining information thereby, but there is none.
H. HAUPT.
-----
O&A RR did a lot of service.

I think your students are lucky to have you work so hard in digging up history.

Just some thoughts.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,
M. E. Wolf

More images from the site added

Folks, for some reason it appears I am limited to one image per posting; so here is another view of the site location. I blame my lack of knowledge of posting details on my "rare forays" into this forum during the school term - I have almost no time to do this until vacation breaks! In this image, Chapel Road winds from left to right and the PRIVATE DRIVE entrance is seen about midway in the picture, on the north side of the road.

The drive enters in a "cut" that slices through the raised rail bed, and sharply bends to the right of the now brush-covered O&A RR. To the east edge of the image you can see the first of two bridge remnants over Pope's Head Creek on my uncle's property; what remains are well-defined stone abutments. Their home was a late-20th century addition to this site as it had never been anything but simply railroad right-of-way prior to and immediately following the war.

When the O&A was later absorbed into what we now know as Norfolk-Southern, this difficult section of track with multiple horseshoe bends accommodating the snake-like path of Pope's Head Creek was completely re-engineered. You can see the modern result above the property - a double-tracked realignment in which the creek itself was "straightened out" and the old bends of the O&A were abandoned.

Hope to hear from folks who have been invited to "tour" the site with permission - I would like to know if anyone on this forum has any further information regarding this unique example of wartime railroad engineering!

Attachments

• chapel road site 3.jpg
    chapel road site 3.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 303
Here is something.....

Devereux Station (Clifton)

A caboose and a Virginia historic marker point out the1903-era post-war station site. A walking tour brochure of the historic village is available which includes The William Beckwith House, the only pre-war house in the town. Clifton Town Park preserves remnants of the O&A Rail bed and a bridge abutment at Pope’s Head Creek. Northeast of town, Chapel Road Park allows viewing of some of the rail bed and two additional bridge sites (the railroad sites are on private property).These parks are public accessible, but parking is very limited.

Here is the main link..... http://www.nvcc.edu/home/csiegel/What to See.htm

Here is a history on Pope Creek form Wiki......I assume its related to Pope Head Creek...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Pope's_Creek_(Virginia)

Who knew there would be so much info on bridges for the O&A railroad.....

If I am right Pope Head % bridge is the one on your land.....If not there four others...

Pope’s Head #3

Remnants: Historic Stone Bridge abutments remain on the old abandoned roadbed.

Accessible: Site can be viewed at a distance from Chapel Road Park, however the abutments are on private property.

Here is the link to the main site...... http://www.nvcc.edu/home/csiegel/Bridges.htm

Rather neat isn't it 5Fish?!.

:smile:

SERIES I--VOLUME XII/3 [S# 18]
Correspondence, orders, and returns relating specially to operations in Northern Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland from March 17 to September 2, 1862.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#26
RAILROAD DEPOT, Alexandria, Va., August 23, 1862.
Hon. P. H. WATSON,
Assistant Secretary of War:
We have forwarded up to this time since yesterday afternoon 6,600 men to Catlett's. This throws our power at the other end. Until it can be returned our capacity is very limited. We will send an engine over to bring troops of Cox's division to Alexandria and make up train in readiness to send forward when engine returns. Devereux is active and efficient. Being compelled to hold rolling stock in readiness to remove supplies in case of an attack in front, this flank movement puts us in bad shape. I have not been able as yet to hear from Catlett's this morning. The confusion there last night must have been awful. Nearly all our wagons are there. Your offer to send cars will expedite matters some. Will keep you advised of everything of importance.
HAUPT.
-----
ALEXANDRIA RAILROAD DEPOT,
August 23, 1862.
Hon. P. H. WATSON:
As soon as your telegram was received we asked Colonel McCallum to allow the Baltimore and Ohio engines to run the troops to Alexandria, and we understood that he would do so. If he cannot, we will be unable to send for them under two or three hours, and it would be much better to send them by boat. I propose to go forward again to-night, and see if my personal presence will not expedite the return of cars. Devereux will keep matters straight here. The return of cars promptly is now the all-important consideration.
H. HAUPT.
-----
WASHINGTON CITY, D.C.,
August 25, 1862--10.10 a.m.
J. H. DEVEREUX, Alexandria:
General Halleck approves of all that we have done and now understands the position of affairs. All officers on arrival must report to me for directions. After Hooker's command goes off there must be no more trains loaded on the main track. All the regiments that come in must lie along the Washington Branch road, where they can be loaded without encumbering the main track. Trains go forward in the following order, as nearly as possible: Subsistence for men, forage, ammunition, hospital stores, veteran troops, raw troops. I will be back soon.
H. HAUPT.
-----
QUARTERMASTER'S DEPARTMENT,
Alexandria, August 26 [1862]. (Received 7.55 p.m.)
Col. D. H. RUCKER:
We give forage and subsistence preference over everything else, and send, when notified of arrival of cars, at the earliest moment possible. Mr. Devereux informs me that he has had an engine on the Avenue nearly all day. The grain shall be sent for, if not already dispatched to Alexandria. I have asked Baley to inform us at 2 p.m. The only cars left on the Avenue were four of pork and four or five of grain, and an engine went immediately back to bring them.
H. HAUPT.
-----
ALEXANDRIA VA., August 28, 1862.
Colonel RUCKER:
Superintendent Devereux informs me that the track in Union street is blocked with cars; that he has furnished Captain Ferguson with cars as fast as he unloaded them. We are sending no cars over the road. Bull Run and nearly all the other bridges, until within 1 mile of Burke's, have been destroyed. The railroad can for some time carry no more supplies for the Army of Virginia. I will request Mr. Devereux to bring over the cars faster, if you desire it, and if Captain Ferguson can unload them. My information yesterday was that they could not be unloaded faster. I have heard of no complaint on the part of Captain Ferguson.
H. HAUPT.
-------
ALEXANDRIA, VA., September 1, 1862.
Colonel HAUPT:
I have detained at Burke's the ammunition train sent this p.m. and will hold it there. McCrickett telegraphs that his forces are in line of battle and that Major Hailer had buckled on his sword and gone to the field; also that firing was heard out to the right and quite near.
J. H. DEVEREUX.
-----
SEPTEMBER 1, 1862.
J. H. DEVEREUX:
General Halleck thinks it best not to send forward trains to-night. Those sent can be held at Burke's. I do not apprehend any attack on Fairfax Station to-night, as it is fully covered by very large forces at Fairfax Court-House. Excepting a few empty cars for the wounded, you can withdraw all cars and engines to a safe distance in the rear. Please communicate this information to Major Haller and to McCrickett. We have no intelligence in addition to your own.
H. HAUPT.
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXI [S# 31]
DECEMBER 11-15, 1862.--Battle of Fredericksburg, Va.
No. 5.--Report of Brig. Gen. Rufus Ingalls, U. S. Army, Chief Quartermaster, of operations November 9, 1862-January 25, 1863.
[excerpt]
It is proper to remark, however, that since then the road has been vastly improved. A large construction party has been constantly kept upon it for many months past. New ties and rails have been put in where necessary; new bridges have been built; the rolling stock has been increased, and the road has been conducted by Col. J. H. Devereux, a most energetic, systematic, and skillful superintendent, so that to-day the road can supply an army of 150,000 men certainly as far as Culpeper. At that time the Third, Eleventh, and Twelfth Corps were not serving immediately with the army. It is necessary to be reminded of this, in order to understand the comparatively small number of wagons, horses, and mules reported on hand when you assumed command.
[[First time he is mentioned as holding the rank of Colonel]]
----------
CAMDEN STATION,
Baltimore, September 25, 1863--9.15 p.m.
Col. D.C. MCCALLUM,
Manassas:
The first two trains from you are troop 28 cars, and 27 cars, 4 of which are artillery. This works very badly for our engines, as our lead from Relay west ought not to exceed 22 cars. Can you not manage to send us 20 to 22 cars, or two trains together, each with 30 or 32 cars, which we can shift into three trains at Relay? We can readily carry 40 cars from Washington to Relay.
W. P. SMITH.
(Same to Capt. J. H. Devereux, Alexandria.)
[[First time mentioned as a Captain]]
-----------
continued
Mr. John H. Devereux, appointed as railroad superintendent, worked extremely close with Colonel/Brig. General Herman Haupt; especially with the railroads out of Washington and Alexandria.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXIX/1 [S# 48]
NOVEMBER 25, 1863.--Affair near Sangster's Station, Va.
Reports of Brig. Gen. Michael Corcoran, U.S. Army.
FAIRFAX STATION, VA.,
November 25, 1863.
SIR: I ascertain that the party captured this morning were woodcutters, teamsters, &c., under charge of Wagon-Master Hartsall. They were working on south side of railroad, about quarter of a mile therefrom. No guard was with the workmen, but the picket on the railroad would have heard any shots, had they been fired on.

George Mattock, who has charge of receiving wood at Devereux Station, says he applied to Mr. Hayes, wood agent, for a guard, but none was furnished. Wagon-Master Hartsall was not captured, and is now absent with the infantry from this post, to intercept the rebels, who are supposed to have gone toward Wolf Run Shoals. This gang of rebels are supposed to belong to Kincheloe, and to number about 25 men.

Some citizens have been arrested by the One hundred and seventieth [New York] Regiment, who are supposed to have given information to the rebels.

I think those workmen should be provided with arms, or be obliged to apply to the nearest infantry command for a guard when working outside our lines.

I will not leave the command to visit Washington till to-morrow afternoon.
MICHAEL CORCORAN,
Brigadier-General, Commanding.
Capt. C. H. POTTER,
Assistant Adjutant-General.
[P. S.]--I have not heard from the cavalry sent from my headquarters as yet.
-------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXIX/2 [S# 49]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating Specially To Operations In North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, And Pennsylvania, From August 4 To December 31, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#24
WASHINGTON, December 24, 1863.
Colonel ALEXANDER:
It is reported here that another raid upon the Alexandria and Orange Railroad is to be made the latter part of this week. You will please have every possible precaution taken to make a successful resistance. Where block-houses are not completed, have such a disposition of the timber made as will afford protection to parties and stores. Have strong barricades on the roads from the Occoquan, and the roads themselves well patrolled. Let every officer on the line of the railroad know of this, so that precaution can be used. The block-house at Bull Run bridge can be used by all for defense now. The one at Devereux Station should also be defensible.
By command of Major-General Augur:
J. H. TAYLOR,
Chief of Staff.
------------------------------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXIII [S# 60]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN NORTH CAROLINA, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, FROM JANUARY 1 TO APRIL 30, 1864.--#5
FAIRFAX COURT-HOUSE, January 28, 1864.
Lieut. Col. J. H. TAYLOR,
Chief of Staff and Assistant Adjutant-General:
I have the honor to report that two 4-horse teams were captured by a party of guerrillas in the vicinity of Annandale this afternoon. We have not ascertained to whom they belonged. The drivers were also taken. Two guerrillas were seen near Fairfax Station this afternoon, and several parties are reported to have been seen between Fairfax Station and Devereux. Colonel Lowell has sent two scouting parties to-day, one to the neighborhood of Annandale and one through Centreville to Bull Run bridge. A detachment of cavalry was sent from this command this a.m. to scour the country between here and Alexandria. A deserter named Lyon, belonging to White's battalion, gave himself up to the pickets at Vienna to-day.
Respectfully,
R. O. TYLER,
Brigadier-General, Commanding
----------------------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXIII [S# 60]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN NORTH CAROLINA, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, FROM JANUARY 1 TO APRIL 30, 1864.--#12
FAIRFAX STATION, VA., February 24, 1864--6.55 p.m.
Colonel FLOOD, Burke's Station:
A large number of the enemy's cavalry have shown themselves on the south side of Devereux. As this latter place is pretty well protected, it may be likely they will visit some other part of the railroad. You will therefore exercise unusual vigilance.
Respectfully,
MATHEW MURPHY,
Colonel, Commanding Brigade.
---------------------
AIRFAX COURT-HOUSE, February 24, 1864.
(Received 9.55 p.m.)
Col. J. H. TAYLOR, Assistant Adjutant-General:
I have the honor to report that a dispatch was received about 7 p.m., from Colonel Murphy, commanding brigade, to the effect that a number of rebel cavalry was seen a short time before on the road south of Devereux. The regimental commanders along the line of the railroad have been notified. Up to this hour all is quiet.
R. O TYLER,
Brigadier-General.
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXVI/2 [S# 68]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN SOUTHEASTERN VIRGINIA AND NORTH CAROLINA, FROM MAY 1, 1864, TO MAY 19, 1864.(*)--#17
DEVEREUX STATION,
May 13, 1864. (Received 11.45.)
General H. W. BENHAM:
We were ordered back; be in Washington 12 o'clock. Please send detail to unload. My men are worn out.
H. V. SLOSSON.
---------

O.R.--SERIES III--VOLUME III [S# 124]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, REPORTS, AND RETURNS OF THE UNION AUTHORITIES FROM JANUARY 1 TO DECEMBER 31, 1863.(*)--#1
WAR DEPARTMENT,
OFFICE OF CONSTRUCTION AND TRANSPORTATION
OF U. S. MILITARY RAILROADS,
Washington, January 1, 1863.
The following is published for the information of all parties interested therein:
The construction and operation of military railroads in Virginia will be separated, and each placed in charge of an officer as engineer or superintendent.
A. Anderson is hereby announced as chief engineer of the military railroads of Virginia; John H. Devereux as superintendent of the military railroads which terminate at Alexandria, with their connecting roads; James J. Moore as engineer of repairs of the same; William W. Wright as superintendent and engineer of repairs of the military railroad which terminates at Aquia Creek; E. L. Wentz as superintendent and engineer of repairs of the Norfolk and Petersburg and Seaboard and Roanoke Railroads.

Engineers and superintendents are authorized to engage the services of all persons for whose acts they are held responsible, and may dismiss subordinates when, in their judgment, the interests of the service will be promoted thereby. They will be held strictly accountable for the results of their operations.
In general, appointments must be filled by those who are at the time, or who have previously been, in the military railroad Service, and, other things being equal, those longest in the service will have preference. It must not be understood, however, that priority of appointment will give an individual precedence over those of superior merit or efficiency.

The superintendent and engineer on each road must decide questions that arise, but if parties consider themselves aggrieved by said decisions they may appeal to the military director.

The rate of compensation of all employés will be fixed by the military director, and engineers and superintendents will be required to report monthly the names, duties, and compensation of all subordinate officers and artificers and the number and pay of all laborers employed by them, and on what work employed.

Forms will be furnished by the military director.

As soon as found practicable, the existing rules, regulations, and orders having reference to the operation of military railroads will be revised and reprinted. Engineers and superintendents can present any suggestions in regard to the organization or for promoting the efficiency of the service that they may deem expedient.
D. C. McCALLUM,
Col. and Military Director and Supt. U.S. Military Railroads.
H. HAUPT,
Brig. Gen. and Chief of Construction and Transportation.
-----
There was even a locomotive named J. H. Devereux :wink:

M. E. Wolf

Here is something people in the area may be interested in:

Here's something from another yahoo group which has a link to information Regarding the coming Manassas Railway Festival on Saturday June 5,2010.

This may be a sort of precursor to the 150th celebration will take place next month as part of the annual Manassas Railroad Day -

This year, there will be a Civil War "themed" area - if you're in the area, it's usually a neat day. Here's a link to a web site with more details:
http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news.../manassas_railway_festival_grows_again/55599/

The 150th anniversary of First Manassas (Bull Run) is slated for next summer, July 16th - 24th, 2011 in Manassas and Prince William County, Virginia. Featured will be parades, exhibits, living history, concerts, three historic balls and of course three days of re-enactments on the battlefield and fields immediately adjecent to it.

__._,_.___
M. E. Wolf

Back