Restricted A.P. Hill Richmond Monument

Quaama

Sergeant

HillRichDispatch.jpg

Yes, it has but when he was moved to his current location and the A P Hill Monument was unveiled it was done before large crowds from the city and included "an unusually large crowd of visitors" and "the streets were thronged from early morn till late at night". "Broad Street was literally jammed in the early part of the morning and for several squares around the thoroughfares were almost blockaded." There were "salutes fired" and "ponderous cheers". [link]

At the unveiling the "people of Richmond gave themselves up ... heartily and enthusiastically" in celebration of the monument and in commemoration of A P Hill's memory. I suspect its removal will be a sharp contrast, attended by few and saddening many.

They might put him with the former Monument Ave monuments? Where ever that may be.

If they had a plan to rebury him with full honors at a new park dedicated to his service it would be more accepting.
We will wait with interest to hear the plan. The reporter I chatted with out there said Hill has living family who are deciding what to do with his grave. While I was out there cars and trucks struggled to get around the monument. Like many remnants of the Civil War I saw on my trip, the monument has ended up with VA traffic whizzing by and time has made it's location awkward. The reporter knew almost nothing about the General.

Quaama

Sergeant
They might put him with the former Monument Ave monuments? Where ever that may be.

If they had a plan to rebury him with full honors at a new park dedicated to his service it would be more accepting.

I hope they don't "put him with the former Monument Avenue monuments". As advised in Post #4 above, most of them are laying on the ground at a sewerage plant.

atlantis

Sergeant Major
I hope they don't "put him with the former Monument Avenue monuments". As advised in Post #4 above, most of them are laying on the ground at a sewerage plant.
Scenic sewage plant alongside major north/south highway for east coast USA. How many cities can claim they have a sewage plant to welcome visitors.