Sutlers- Cheers & Jeers A new Songs and Spirituals of the Civil War CD was just released

JimVAMC

Cadet
Atlanta Master Chorale, of which I am the Executive Director, recently released a beautiful new CD, entitled, Songs and Spirituals of the Civil War. I am interested in making contact with any individuals who might be interested in marketing the CD. My direct email is [email protected]

Civil War CD cover.jpg

You started the marketing right here. Can you put just a few of these CDs up on eBay for us at least?

Now putting on my Marketing hat: Antebellum and CW historical sites are captive audience for this nitch of music. Perhaps contact NPS and state-run sites to begin with, addressing the store managers at those sites (perhaps you have an intern to chase this down?). Don't spend a lot of money making hundreds more copies until interest is indicated; the value then established.

What you have going for you is that this type of release doesn't time out. It will be as relevant for sale in 10 years as it is now in new release. For that reason I would not allow it to be discounted any time soon. I sense this is quite the labor of love, and I sense a quality effort here, so it should be allowed to appropriately value itself (i.e. discounting can hurt perceived value).

CDs may be a hum-drum technology anymore, but for the history nitch it will still be valid for many years to come. We are Luddites that way. Of course make it available as a download through one of the commercial online music houses at some point, but don't spring for a distribution contract until CD sales indicate a more popular demand.

Other advice differs of course, listen to those you know and trust first. Your local Visitors Bureau may have a marketing contract you could leverage.

Last edited:
You started the marketing right here. Can you put just a few of these CDs up on eBay for us at least?

Now putting on my Marketing hat: Antebellum and CW historical sites are captive audience for this nitch of music. Perhaps contact NPS and state-run sites to begin with, addressing the store managers at those sites (perhaps you have an intern to chase this down?). Don't spend a lot of money making hundreds more copies until interest is indicated; the value then established.

What you have going for you is that this type of release doesn't time out. It will be as relevant for sale in 10 years as it is now in new release. For that reason I would not allow it to be discounted any time soon. I sense this is quite the labor of love, and I sense a quality effort here, so it should be allowed to appropriately value itself (i.e. discounting can hurt perceived value).

CDs may be a hum-drum technology anymore, but for the history nitch it will still be valid for many years to come. We are Luddites that way. Of course make it available as a download through one of the commercial online music houses at some point, but don't spring for a distribution contract until CD sales indicate a more popular demand.

Other advice differs of course, listen to those you know and trust first. Your local Visitors Bureau may have a marketing contract you could leverage.
The Samples of the CD are available for sample listening and purchase at https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/atlantamasterchorale4. I would be interested in contacting NPS but not sure what that means. Can you explain? Thank you!

The Samples of the CD are available for sample listening and purchase at https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/atlantamasterchorale4. I would be interested in contacting NPS but not sure what that means. Can you explain? Thank you!

National Park Service, which has oversight of many designated national battlefield and historical site parks. All the bigger ones have a public gift shop.

https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/places.htm

Perhaps you'd have to ask for the store manager at the locations that seem most relevant to this music.

As for me, the order link you provided worked fine.

Last edited:
I wonder if you could release this thru Amazon or itunes as well? And you know, those of us who sing might like the scores as well...just sayin//

I wonder if you could release this thru Amazon or itunes as well? And you know, those of us who sing might like the scores as well...just sayin//
The whole album will be available through Streaming services within the next week or so. Once the album is released, it takes a few weeks for the streaming services to obtain the files and have them ready. I know that Amazon will also have the album eventually.

National Park Service, which has oversight of many designated national battlefield and historical site parks. All the bigger ones have a public gift shop.

https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/places.htm

Perhaps you'd have to ask for the store manager at the locations that seem most relevant to this music.

As for me, the order link you provided worked fine.
Many thanks. I will begin the process of contacting the NPS. It will seem daunting but I hope to make some inroads. I am also hoping to get connected to the Sutlers around the region. Would they be another source of marketing?

Many thanks. I will begin the process of contacting the NPS. It will seem daunting but I hope to make some inroads. I am also hoping to get connected to the Sutlers around the region. Would they be another source of marketing?

Sutlers generally don't market beyond the confines of their tent at events -- a sign listing what they have or what service they provide, and typically a scrawl about something on sale. Those online are about the same way. So let's call that captive marketing, vs active marketing, of which they do very little: they occasionally buy space in an event folder or sponsor a speaker or musical performance or something.

Bottom line it's all nitch marketing to a nitch audience. Mass marketing isn't justifiable given their minimal marketing budgets. Facebook page if they have time to keep it current. In my view of it most sutlers run on a pretty thin margin; a love of history and reenacting keeping some hanging in there when from a business standpoint they should have shut down long ago

In regards NPS or State Park historical site stores, they don't do much active marketing either, just signs in their stores. Hear's some advice though - have one of your local college art or marketing departments make up professional-looking artwork promoting your historical CDs. Have that art reproduced on thick stock (poster board) and perhaps have it laminated and a folding prop put on the back. It might not cost as much as you think, maybe $150. for 50 copies or so. This is known as a POP (point-of-purchase) display.

When you first talk to these history venue store managers you then offer to provide them your very attractive full-color POP display. It's an incentive. Common marketing strategy in the for-profit world, but not much utilized in the non-profit world (park stores, museum stores).

Admittedly I'm getting a little bit carried away for the scale you're probably thinking about ...but since you asked.

Wonderful CD btw. Mine arrived yesterday.

Last edited:
Sutlers generally don't market beyond the confines of their tent at events -- a sign listing what they have or what service they provide, and typically a scrawl about something on sale. Those online are about the same way. So let's call that captive marketing, vs active marketing, of which they do very little: they occasionally buy space in an event folder or sponsor a speaker or musical performance or something.

Bottom line it's all nitch marketing to a nitch audience. Mass marketing isn't justifiable given their minimal marketing budgets. Facebook page if they have time to keep it current. In my view of it most sutlers run on a pretty thin margin; a love of history and reenacting keeping some hanging in there when from a business standpoint they should have shut down long ago

In regards NPS or State Park historical site stores, they don't do much active marketing either, just signs in their stores. Hear's some advice though - have one of your local college art or marketing departments make up professional-looking artwork promoting your historical CDs. Have that art reproduced on thick stock (poster board) and perhaps have it laminated and a folding prop put on the back. It might not cost as much as you think, maybe $150. for 50 copies or so. This is known as a POP (point-of-purchase) display.

When you first talk to these history venue store managers you then offer to provide them your very attractive full-color POP display. It's an incentive. Common marketing strategy in the for-profit world, but not much utilized in the non-profit world (park stores, museum stores).

Admittedly I'm getting a little bit carried away for the scale you're probably thinking about ...but since you asked.

Wonderful CD btw. Mine arrived yesterday.
Thank you! Great ideas and background. I am glad you were carried away with ideas. I need folks like that. I appreciate the thoughts about the posters (POP displays). Glad you enjoyed the CD. Feel free to share the word about it!!

Back