"A monumental honor: Giving Confederate soldiers their due"

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
While this story describes the SCV group in Delaware sharing information about the past, it also shows how the SCV skews that information. For instance (emphasis added):

“As a descendent of a Confederate soldier, I am proud to carry the torch. The Sons of Confederate Veterans are the stewards of the Confederate soldiers’ good name."
--In other words, this is not about understanding history, but choosing a "side" of a past conflict and protecting an image of a specific group of people.

"When you don the uniform of the Confederate soldier, there is a feeling of pride that cannot be equaled. It is ‘in your heart,’ as we say. You are preserving for future generations history of the sacrifices and valor for the cause, the memory and the pride of the gallant Southern dead."
--This is about emotion, not understanding the past. And it is advocacy. What "cause" do these SCV members wish to celebrate--fighting against the United States and preserving slavery?

"I am committed to honoring my ancestors, and will defend ferociously their good name and deeds.”
--This is all about carrying on Lost Cause mythology. These guys care about making something look good or acceptable in modern society. That is not respectable historical study or teaching.

"All veterans should be honored, regardless of which side they were on.”- Camp adjutant John Zoch
Somebody should pass his quote along to all camps, be they north or south.

I do, however, find it ironic that the SCV is building a monument in a Union state in honor of men who's cause- if successful- would've resulted in that state being part of a foreign country, which would've been highly unlikely to have allowed such a monument. Note for casual readers and the perpetually outraged- that's an observation merely on the geography, not a comment on the placing of such monuments. I'm on record here as being in favor of marking all service- North and South. It's just funny to think about a delegation from the sovereign Confederate States of America petitioning the US State Dept for permission to place a memorial at Gettysburg, or Antietam, or wherever; likewise, imagine an ambassador from the US trying to negotiate a monument to Union dead in Mississippi or Georgia...

"All veterans should be honored, regardless of which side they were on.”- Camp adjutant John Zoch

I do, however, find it ironic that the SCV is building a monument in a Union state in honor of men who's cause- if successful- would've resulted in that state being part of a foreign country, which would've been highly unlikely to have allowed such a monument. Note for casual readers and the perpetually outraged- that's an observation merely on the geography, not a comment on the placing of such monuments. I'm on record here as being in favor of marking all service- North and South. It's just funny to think about a delegation from the sovereign Confederate States of America petitioning the US State Dept for permission to place a memorial at Gettysburg, or Antietam, or wherever; likewise, imagine an ambassador from the US trying to negotiate a monument to Union dead in Mississippi or Georgia...
Summed up rather nicely. :thumbsup:

I am a little confused, which “foreign country” did you have in mind that wouldn’t have allowed the Sons of Confederate of Veterans to place a monument there?

I am a little confused, which “foreign country” did you have in mind that wouldn’t have allowed the Sons of Confederate of Veterans to place a monument there?
The United States of America. You highlighted the pertinent part- the cause of these men was that of Southern independence- if successful in that cause, there would have been an independent Confederacy, no? And Delaware, as a state in the USA would be part of that foreign nation, or are you suggesting that Delaware would've been part of the Confederacy post-war?

The United States of America. You highlighted the pertinent part- the cause of these men was that of Southern independence- if successful in that cause, there would have been an independent Confederacy, no? And Delaware, as a state in the USA would be part of that foreign nation, or are you suggesting that Delaware would've been part of the Confederacy post-war?

Thanks for the clarification. You are probably right, I doubt there would have been a Confederate monument in Delaware, as I doubt there are any rebel monuments in England or loyalist monument here.

"The cost of the memorial was underwritten by private organizations and donations, with no public or governmental sponsorship."

Great job to all on raising the funds. :thumbsup:
delawarescv.JPG

http://www.csatrust.org/Events/DelawareMonument.htm

Back