Monuments A monumental honor: Giving Confederate soldiers their due - DE

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
A monumental honor: Giving Confederate soldiers their due
Brice Stump, SBY 12:08 p.m. EDT May 12, 2014
usedforpromo.jpg

(Photo: Brice Stump)

106 CONNECTTWEET 1 LINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
GEORGETOWN – With the passing of almost 150 years since the end of the Civil War, there has been only one Confederate memorial in Delaware. A granite memorial, almost 14 feet tall, was placed on the grounds of the Nutter B. Marvel Museum in Georgetown in 2007.

The Sons of Confederate Veterans "Delaware Grays" Camp No. 2068 in Seaford, the United Daughters of the Confederacy "Caleb Ross" Chapter No. 2635 and the Georgetown Historical Society sponsored the construction of the monument. The cost of the memorial was underwritten by private organizations and donations, with no public or governmental sponsorship.

For the rest:
http://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/war-on-the-shore/2014/03/29/a-monumental-honor-giving-confederate-soldiers-their-due-/7068879/

WesB

Private
I live about 40 minutes from Georgetown. I'll have to check it out. Kent and Sussex Counties were more agricultural as opposed to New Castle county which is more industry; i.e. DuPont at that time. Still, many men served for the Union in Kent and Sussex counties, despite the pro-south views in those areas. Unfortunately I haven't researched Southern Veterans from the state, but I do want to learn more. Thanks for posting!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!