A Mississippian's View of Secession

Championhilz

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I found this letter in the correspondence of Governor John J. Pettus, and thought I would share it, as the author, Jubal B. Hancock of Lauderdale County, Mississippi, gives a very interesting account of how the people in his county feel about the state leaving the Union. Hancock was a very prominent citizen in his community, serving as a judge and as the local postmaster.

Marion, November 14, 1860

Dear Sir,

We are looking out for your proclamation calling together the legislature at an early day, and you may feel assured that it will meet a hearty approval “the fighting county of the chivalrous state of Mississippi” as Capt. Daniel said, when he started to Mexico.

So far as I have heard an expression of public opinion, and I have seen hundreds, we are all for resisting Black Republican rule, but there is one rock on which I fear we may split. You know, many of us are straight out secessionists as I believe you are, but there will be among us many who believe if the South will present a bold front it will roll back the tide of public opinion in the North and Northwest.

Many of us think differently and believe that the people of North & Northwest having sucked in abolition feeling and sentiment from the breasts of their mothers, had it taught them in baby songs at the sides of their cradles, been taught it in schoolrooms, from the pulpit and stump until they have become so imbued with feelings hostile to slavery that nothing that the South could change their deep rooted hatred of our institution, and that secession is the only alternative left for us. (There is all the danger we have to encounter among ourselves).

A large majority of our citizens here incline strongly to the latter opinion and are ready to stake their all on early secession and among them is an old man who has seen seventy summers and experienced some military life in his country’s cause in 1812

What do you think? Will Mississippi secede at an early period or will she want longer and ask her enemies to return to a sense of justice? I trust she will, after deliberating well on the subject, quit the Yankees.

I send a copy of resolutions adopted in our meeting on Monday – how many counties will not do likewise? I would be pleased to hear from you.

Very Respectfully,

J.B. Hancock

John J. Pettus Correspondence

Series 757, Box 930, Folder 10

Mississippi Department of Archives & History

Back