A Man Reads "Little Women"

Zella

1st Lieutenant
Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

I must confess, I never could get into Little Women. Maybe it was being the only girl with 3 older brothers, but I never could fathom having sisters and have always been confounded by descriptions of what it's like to have a sister. :wink: I should probably revisit the book.
But based on his description of her work, I'm not sure the writer has read Austen, either. :bounce:

grace

Sergeant
That is interesting; thank you for sharing!

Personally, I've always had trouble with the book after about age 9. (I was reading chapter books by 5 and first read it at 7). However, having a father who was busy reading Horatio Hornblower to me and Huck Finn probably shaped my reading tastes in directions far away from the ladies of this tale!

Zella

1st Lieutenant
That is interesting; thank you for sharing!

Personally, I've always had trouble with the book after about age 9. (I was reading chapter books by 5 and first read it at 7). However, having a father who was busy reading Horatio Hornblower to me and Huck Finn probably shaped my reading tastes in directions far away from the ladies of this tale!
Horatio Hornblower is good stuff. :D

Huck Finn too. But Horatio Hornblower is just weirdly addictive.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
From the article:

Anybody can read this book, but Alcott knew who she was writing for: girls and persons who had once been girls.

“Any girl-reader who has suffered like afflictions,” Alcott writes, “will sympathize with poor Amy, and wish her well through with her task.”

Indeed, girl-readers sympathized with all four sisters, as well as with their mother, Marmee, and had sympathy left over for the novel’s lads and dads, heartbroken or heart-healing.

Fair enough! They are both responsible for my love for all things 19th century British navy. :D

You too ?

I have a pretty cool miniature of Nelson on my desk as I type this. :laugh:

BTW, as far as the movie remakes go, I'm still partial to the mid 90's version.

I guess it was because I was in luv with Winona Ryder back then.
:bounce:

Sorry Pat, I'll get back on topic.
Little Women is an American classic.

Last edited:

Zella

1st Lieutenant
You too ?

I have a pretty cool miniature of Nelson on my desk as I type this. :laugh:

BTW, as far as the movie remakes go, I'm still partial to the mid 90's version.

I guess it was because was in luv with Winona Ryder back then.
:bounce:

Sorry Pat, I'll get back on topic.
Little Women is an American classic.
I'm officially jealous of your mini Nelson! That sounds beyond cool. :bounce:

The only adaptation of Little Women I've watched was the most recent one on PBS. Can't compare to the book since I never finished it, but I thought the pace was almost frenetic and hard to keep up with. I also kept thinking the lead actress bore an odd resemblance to Uma Thurman and felt vindicated when I realized it was her daughter. :sneaky:

I should probably watch the 1994 version. Seems popular with a lot of folks I know.

luinrina

2nd Lieutenant
Silver Patron
I've never read the books, only seen the anime series Tales of Little Women and the sequel Little Women II: Jo's Boys and the movie Little Women (1994). I really liked the anime series as a teen and have watched them several times. I bought the DVD when starting studying the Civil War so that I could particularly rewatch the episodes that dealt with the Battle of Gettysburg. :D

There's yet another movie remake of Little Women scheduled for release on Christmas Day 2019.
I googled that to see if there's some more info than the page you linked and Google proposed Little Women (2018) instead. It's set in modern times but appears to cover quite some topics of the books. Release date is end of September. Here's the trailer:

I've read Little Women, its good.

Alcott's horror fiction has been reissued. In Little Women, her professor boyfriend disparages Jo's potboilers, and she brings him up pretty sharply: she's paying the rent, and helping support her family. Her Civil War memoir, Hospital Sketches is definitely worth reading.

Our linguistics professor is a trifle condescending to the girl's book. Go back to Hemingway, buddy. Nice short sentences with nice short words.