A History of Christmas Traditions At the White House

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
It is always fun for me to see and read about the Christmas Tree at the White House each year. However, before the 20th century, the White House observance of Christmas was not an official event.

The early First families decorated the house modestly with greens and private celebrations.

The first White House Christmas Tree, which was decorated with candles and toys, was placed on the second floor oval room in 1889 for President Benjamin Harrison and family. In 1894, the first electric lights on a family tree was placed by President Grover Cleveland for his daughters.
In 1909, President William Taft's children decorated the first tree on the state floor in the Blue Room.

The White House at Christmas has always been a magical place for children. From the beginning, memorable parties have been held for presidential children and grandchildren. A very elaborate celebration was President Andrew Jackson's "frolic". This was held for the children of his household in 1834. The party included games, dancing, a grand dinner, and ended with an indoor "snowball fight" with the balls made from cotton.

President Teddy Roosevelt and his wife hosted a "carnival" during 1903 Christmas. This was for 500 children and included dinner, dancing, musical entertainment, souvenirs and a special ice cream treat in the form of Santa Claus. Sometimes, President Roosevelt, because of his conservationist tendency, did not approve of a real tree. However, his son Archie did smuggle a small tree into the White House and hid it in a closet in the sewing room.

President Calvin Coolidge was first President to preside over a public celebration of Christmas, in 1923' with the lighting of First National Christmas Tree.

Mrs. Lou Henry Hoover was the First Lady who established First Ladies decorating a tree in the White House in 1929. Since that time, the decorations have belonged to First Ladies. In 1961 Jacqueline Kennedy began the tradition of selecting a theme for the decoration of the tree. That year she chose "Nutcracker Suite" ballet. Many First Ladies have continued a theme for the tree. Patricia Nixon had a Flower Tree in 1969 and Laura Bush had the theme of "All Creatures Grand and Small in 2002, highlighting the importance of White House Pets.

She, Laura Bush, had a "Red, White and Blue Christmas "theme in 2008. Michelle Obama had theme of "Simple Gifts" in 2010.

The tradition of the Tree and decorating the White House continues for 2012 and I hope it will continue for many years.

Information from "A Brief History of Christmas Traditions at the White House" by The White House Historical Association at http://www.whitehousehistory.org/wh...hous-christmas-traditions-at-the-white-house/

If you want a good book to read on the history of Christmas in U.S, I recommend "Christmas In America" by Penne L. Restad. The author starts with Christmas in the Colonies through Christmas today. Two chapters that I thought were very interesting are: "Christmas in the Slave South" and "A Holiday for the Nation". These deal with just prior and Civil War times.

Interesting tidbits. Holiday interactions with families and friends, especially children, tends to provide a more human perspective on political figures that we blindly sort into ideological categories and caricatures of themselves.

It was probably 1929 for Mrs. Hoover.

I sometimes hesitate to mention things that don't seem to be especially material to the substance of the post, but with all these darned historians around here there's a tendency to get testy about dates and accuracy and I have been wrong more times than I can count. :unsure:

I am always glad anyone points out a mistake. As I said I hit the 1 instead of the 2.

I always try to put my sources. Know that is really important. In post I had on Tad Lincoln, had to add where I got the information. I was driving to post office and realized I hadn't put it down. So as soon as I got back posted the source.

I always find facts like that interesting, especially about Christmas at the White House. I started collecting ornaments from The White House Association many years ago, when my son, Greg, was a little boy (he's almost 21 now). I have several of the ornaments with a painting of something significant to the President's administration, some with Presidents featured on them, one with Lincoln, that is my favorite.

Great for Christmas, nice thread Donna.

Interesting material, Donna. I like that T.R.'s son hid a tree in a closet! If Alice had brought in the tree, I don't believe he'd have tried to stop her.

Back